Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I have 2 two year old Lavender Americauna hens that I got from John in 2015. His stock is top quality, with no gold leakage in the down. They have been giving me 75% Lavender under a split roo. I have to let go of these beautiful birds since we have to downsize. I have sent you a PM with a way to contact me.

If that doesn't work out and you are near enough to me, I would be very interested in your lavender girls! Especially since my one lavender seems to be a roo. I really wanted only pullets.

Cockerel, no doubt...

okay, so next question. Is this roo slow to mature or did he somehow end up being a bantam? I have one other young roo (an EE) that hatched roughly the same time from the same breeder. That one is NO DOUBT a roo. He has acted like it for quite some time now and at 12 weeks of age he is crowing quite a bit. This one, doesn't even remotely acts like a roo.

okay, so next question. Is this roo slow to mature or did he somehow end up being a bantam? I have one other young roo (an EE) that hatched roughly the same time from the same breeder. That one is NO DOUBT a roo. He has acted like it for quite some time now and at 12 weeks of age he is crowing quite a bit. This one, doesn't even remotely acts like a roo.

EE is just dominant... mamy times when there is more than one cockerel, one will develop much faster than the other... take away the dominant one and the other will quickly catch up...

EE is just dominant... mamy times when there is more than one cockerel, one will develop much faster than the other... take away the dominant one and the other will quickly catch up...

good to know. Now I just need to decide which one to keep. I don't have enough hens for 2 roosters. I really love the lavender's color. But honestly, I am not certain if he would make a good match to my other breeds. Not that I am keeping the rooster to breed, mostly for flock protection. But I am not stupid, I realize there will be breeding at some point. My other roo is beautiful and at this point is still friendly and loving. But he is just now coming into his juvenile stage and this may all change. There is also the fact that my dominant roo has a special place in my heart for a very personal reason as well. The last day I saw my 19 year old son before he passed away unexpectedly (4 weeks ago today) he was holding that roo and I have pictures of the 2 together. It just isn't a very easy decision for me to make

good to know. Now I just need to decide which one to keep. I don't have enough hens for 2 roosters. I really love the lavender's color. But honestly, I am not certain if he would make a good match to my other breeds. Not that I am keeping the rooster to breed, mostly for flock protection. But I am not stupid, I realize there will be breeding at some point. My other roo is beautiful and at this point is still friendly and loving. But he is just now coming into his juvenile stage and this may all change. There is also the fact that my dominant roo has a special place in my heart for a very personal reason as well. The last day I saw my 19 year old son before he passed away unexpectedly (4 weeks ago today) he was holding that roo and I have pictures of the 2 together. It just isn't a very easy decision for me to make

Mixed flock, keep the EE... doesn't make a difference if you hatch chicks from either or and if you're happy and attached to the EE, then go ahead and keep him...

Very sorry for your loss...

I am curious the chicks I picked up 6 weeks there are those with a bit longer tail feathers other are close to the tail end and stop.. deoes the longer tail usually a trait on the male

Where are you located are you willing to take straight run? or do you want eggs?

In my experience, chicks with longer tail feathers has NO relevance. However, the short tails like @RowanTheRed posted are ALWAYS cockerels! :frow (AS is that one.)

Having loads of fun sitting out there getting them use me
have roughly have stepping out looking around plastic garbage can I use for feed

@RowanTheRed I cannot even imagine the pain from your loss! :th SOOO sorry. :hugs

Honestly the super friendly cockerels are often the ones that turn into giant terrorist.

All birds are individuals and mature at different rates. Some boys will crow as early as 4 weeks, where as I have had some not start until 21 weeks. And my Ameraucana are *usually* a little slower than my EE.

Flock protection is a terrible reason to keep roosters IMO. Reason being, they usually just become the sacrifice to the threat. A rooster can't stand against a raccoon, mountain lion, or anything of the like.. even IF they wanted to. And a good lead hen will do predator warning calls and be able to fight off any standard cat. Excessive crowing is enough reason for me to NOT keep a specific rooster.

But I haven't had YOUR experience. Make the best decision you can with how you currently feel, and you can always switch it up if it doesn't work out. Chickens are supposed to be therapy, so if they start taking you for a ride you don't like, then end it. Mating will be starting any time, you'll know when your hens start to holler.

I would definitely struggle to get rid of the one in the pic if I put myself in your shoes. It must be very difficult, hang in there!:)

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Back
Top Bottom