Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Thanks. Will it be ok then to breed back the black pullets to the lavender roo from the lavender splits? It might be better just to find some lavender hens or hatching eggs or chicks and leave the blue/blacks alone! Any good sources to get any?
Bill

Sometimes you have to work with what you have to make Lavs. Splits in Lavs are a good thing. When you breed the black pullets from the first breeding to the Lavender roo, you will make splits. Then you can breed those split pullets back to the lavender roo so you can start getting lavenders.

Thanks for the help! Just did not want to bring the blue into the mix if it was gong to be a problem in the future. I see someone has that mix on eBay right now. Will work with what I have and a program in place now. Bill

I posted a while back impatient for my three lavender hens to resume laying after a long winter break, and later reported my strange series of events:
Monday - first lavender egg of spring
Tuesday - removed one of the three hens for treatment (sour crop), so she wasn't laying
Wednesday - lavender rooster drops dead.

I am happy to report that I saved up 7 eggs after the rooster died, and all 7 have hatched! 5 lavenders and two splits. I'm hoping one is a boy and I can have a fresh start.

Congrats on the hatch, as bittersweet as it may be. Hope you get something good to work with.

I just had to explain to somebody that lost their roo and was all ready to cancel their chick orders that they still had time to hatch some eggs. It was so silly- they were just going to give up!

I posted a while back impatient for my three lavender hens to resume laying after a long winter break, and later reported my strange series of events:
Tuesday - removed one of the three hens for treatment (sour crop), so she wasn't laying

I am happy to report that I saved up 7 eggs after the rooster died, and all 7 have hatched! 5 lavenders and two splits. I'm hoping one is a boy and I can have a fresh start.

Is there no one up your way that might sell you a roo? Lavender, Split or just Black? You could still keep going with a black and maybe one of you chicks will be a Lavender roo for a replacement.

You have 3 lavender hens and a Lavender roo and you got splits?

Is there no one up your way that might sell you a roo?  Lavender, Split or just Black?  You could still keep going with a black and maybe one of you chicks will be a Lavender roo for a replacement. 

You have 3 lavender hens and a Lavender roo and you got splits?

Sorry, I was not clear. Two lavender and one split hen. I am in no hurry, and space is limited, so I'll see how this new flock turns out and hope for a lavender roo.

Hey all -

I am in Washington and HOPEFULLY starting a Lavender breeding program - We'll see how it goes.

I have a three week old split and Lav from Donna and I am suspecting the Lav is a cockerel. I'm trying to pick up some more stock and came in contact with someone today that breeds. I am considering buying eggs from her, HOWEVER I would like to make sure the stock I am selecting is quality. I know this isn't the best picture - I'm trying to get a few better ones - but can anyone help me evaluate these birds? They are part of a trio she has.
Thank you!

Hey all -

I am in Washington and HOPEFULLY starting a Lavender breeding program - We'll see how it goes.

I have a three week old split and Lav from Donna and I am suspecting the Lav is a cockerel. I'm trying to pick up some more stock and came in contact with someone today that breeds. I am considering buying eggs from her, HOWEVER I would like to make sure the stock I am selecting is quality. I know this isn't the best picture - I'm trying to get a few better ones - but can anyone help me evaluate these birds? They are part of a trio she has.
Thank you!

Better pics will help. From this one, the roo looks to have too high of a tail set. Both look to have pinched tails too.

I have a few with the pinched tails. Its a work in progress... overcoming the feather quality issue is a priority for me. You can always go back on the blacks for type, and most of us have that in our plans anyway.

I set 50 eggs this week. 1 in 8 could be cuckoo males, but all the rest should be lavs and splits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom