Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
Hi, new to this color. Have read over half of posts and did not see what I was looking for. So here is my question. I have one lav. and one black rooster, 3 blue hens. How is the best way to produce lavenders? I need to know if I put the lavender roo over the blue hens will this give me a bad looking offspring? Or do I need to 1st bred the black and blues together and produce splits, then breed to the lavenderroo to the black splits be better? Thanks for the help
Bill
Indiana

Hi, new to this color. Have read over half of posts and did not see what I was looking for. So here is my question. I have one lav. and one black rooster, 3 blue hens. How is the best way to produce lavenders? I need to know if I put the lavender roo over the blue hens will this give me a bad looking offspring? Or do I need to 1st bred the black and blues together and produce splits, then breed to the lavenderroo to the black splits be better? Thanks for the help
Bill
Indiana
Is your roo a pure black or a black split?

Bill
Indiana

Blue is not recommended for use in the Lavender breedings. Black (no Bl gene) is usually used to improve feather quality. Blues to not produce splits - they produce Black, Blue or Splash depending on what genes they carry (no Bl = black, one copy Bl = Blue, two copies Bl = splash). I don't think the Lav roo over blue hens would produce bad offspring, but the offspring will be either blue or black split to Lav. With that crossing you would add another gene in.. and when you crossed back to Lav you would get Lav chicks but they might carry blue.. I don't know what shows on the Lav/Lav birds if they also carry Bl/Bl.. splash Lav? White birds with grey spots? Since the Lav only dilutes black or red I don't know how it expresses over blue - since blue modifies black too...

I would breed the black and blues together and use only black chicks from that breeding, that way you won't be mixing the Blue with the Lav.

Thanks Little Wing .. I didn't think of that question - is your Rooster pure black? If he is already a split you would be mixing Lav into your blues.. and you would mess up any Blue breedings in the future...

Last edited:
Of those that use leg bands to ID birds, what sizes do you typically use? I need to keep track of which bird came from which breeder. Thanks!

I just had a small hatch and got 3 Blacks and 1 Lavender out of 4 split eggs. My first Lav of this Spring.
The chicks I got from Paul Smith are 2 weeks old now and doing great. I got 7 pure Black and 8 Lavender. The Lavs seem to be growing as fast or faster than the Blacks.
I also just got 3 new birds from Crystal Creek. I got a Lavender roo, a Lav Hen and a Black Split hen. They are gorgeous! Thank you Cindy!!!
Lavenders and BCM are all I am concentrating on this year. I also hatched a couple of those Super Blue Egg Layers. Thanks for that idea Donna.
big_smile.png
I have 2, 4 week old chicks now that are solid white and have pea combs.
wee.gif

I was told he was pure black, but you never really know. If I do use him with the blue hens and they are pure to what should I get? If they are not, then how will I know if they are splits?
Thanks
Bill

I was told he was pure black, but you never really know. If I do use him with the blue hens and they are pure to what should I get? If they are not, then how will I know if they are splits?
Thanks
Bill

Put your black rooster over the blue hens. You will get black and blue birds. Cross the black females to your lavender roosters - you SHOULD get all Black birds who will then be black/lav splits. If you get any lavender chicks then your black rooster is a split. Then you will just need to note somewhere that all the blue birds from those breeding carry Lav. - either that or eat them...

Last edited:
Thanks. Will it be ok then to breed back the black pullets to the lavender roo from the lavender splits? It might be better just to find some lavender hens or hatching eggs or chicks and leave the blue/blacks alone! Any good sources to get any?
Bill

Back
Top Bottom