Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Pics
I have never (NEVER!) had a broody Ameraucana. Some hens have "pretended" to go broody for a day, and just didn't want to commit to the full time job! I have a huge Brinsea that I love, and keep Silkies and one Black Tailed White Japanese bantam that steal clutches to raise. The BTWJ hen went broody on air for 2 days and about attacked me when I brought in 2 week old chicks in a cage to put into a pen in the coop. I tested it out and let her in with them. The chicks were all sorts of confused at first. I let them all outside the next day and momma did what she was supposed to do...raised her adopted brood! Three months later, they are all still following her around. :) Some are BCM's from Wynette here on BYC, that are now twice her size. It's too cute.

I have never (NEVER!) had a broody Ameraucana. Some hens have "pretended" to go broody for a day, and just didn't want to commit to the full time job! I have a huge Brinsea that I love, and keep Silkies and one Black Tailed White Japanese bantam that steal clutches to raise. The BTWJ hen went broody on air for 2 days and about attacked me when I brought in 2 week old chicks in a cage to put into a pen in the coop. I tested it out and let her in with them. The chicks were all sorts of confused at first. I let them all outside the next day and momma did what she was supposed to do...raised her adopted brood! Three months later, they are all still following her around. :) Some are BCM's from Wynette here on BYC, that are now twice her size. It's too cute.
Wow, I never had that problem. They seem to go broody for me. Last year I had most of my chicks from the incubator hatches raised by Broodies, Lav Amer, Black AMer, Araucanas, and even Orpingtons. I had one black hen raise 50 chicks. Most raised around 30.

Woo hoo! A broody wheaten just hatched out a bunch of chicks today including two totally (huge white head spots) lavender cuckoo babies.

wee.gif

After the numerous failings I have had in my un-airconditioned house raising chicks, I let my broodies have the chicks every chance I get. A lot fewer losses that way.

Wow, I never had that problem. They seem to go broody for me. Last year I had most of my chicks from the incubator hatches raised by Broodies, Lav Amer, Black AMer, Araucanas, and even Orpingtons. I had one black hen raise 50 chicks. Most raised around 30.
Not fair! What a sight that must be...30+ chicks following momma! Could it be I'm the only one that hasn't had a broody Am? I've raised every color except Brown Red. NONE have stayed put in the nest to hatch. I have a Buff Orp that has never gone broody either...she's two and half. Only my bantams and one OE have done their due diligence...out of hundred and hundreds of hens! :/

Not Lav Am related, but wanted to share...

At the feeder is the BTWJ momma (white with black tail) with a few of her adopted BCM babies. Pic taken this evening.

Tonight I let out the Silkie momma with her 4 chicks...the Japanese bantam tried stealing her clutch! She was clucking like mad trying to show them food to eat! Maternal instinct runs deep with her.

Woo hoo! A broody wheaten just hatched out a bunch of chicks today including two totally (huge white head spots) lavender cuckoo babies.

wee.gif

After the numerous failings I have had in my un-airconditioned house raising chicks, I let my broodies have the chicks every chance I get. A lot fewer losses that way.

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see how these grow out....post pics when you can! How many generations does it take to get to your results? I am using my lavs for a side project too. Oh the possibilities. Hopefully it doesn't "quite" take over 1,000 chicks to reach my desired result, as the chicken calculator tells me. I will be supplying the Central NY area with lots of Easter Eggers in the meantime!

Back
Top Bottom