Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

I ordered Paul Smith Lavs this spring. I only have 2 pullets, which look fine, but the cockerels are kind of weird... Take a look. I think they are leaking gold. I don't know what to do with them. These are the 3 rejects. I have one without the gold leak, but he's not great either. Kind of disappointed. Can this be fixed? They look good other than the gold.

I feel extremely lucky to have gotten the birds that I got from Cindy, on the first and second try. They are all from great bloodlines and I appreciate all of the hard work that went into them. I think anyone would jump on that offer. But being from great bloodlines doesn't always make great chicks. Everyone has culls, especially with Lavenders. All she was asking for was a little feedback. Saying that no comment was needed because of their bloodlines, is crazy. You know better than most that just putting two good birds together doesn't always make good Lavs. If it did, they would all be show quality instead of 1 in 20.

Seems like the right thing to do would be to give her some feedback in the spirit of promoting the breed and not worry about where they came from or whether there was luck involved.

This is a roo from my Paul Smith chick order this spring. Any comments needed?

Yes I do know everyone has culls.I would be willing to trade my 2 best lavenders for her 2 worst and I think I would get the best end of the deal.Little Wing and this is sarcasm I would be willing to take that cull off your hands in exchange for one of my cockerels that is 1/2 Smith.I really would.If she really wants to learn I will dig up some old photos of some with faults.Ancestors of my current birds.I really stated things poorly.Sorry.There really is not much to say about birds from the 3 best bloodlines available other than nice birds.You are lucky.My offer is good.Ship them t.o me

he does seem small for 25 weeks. why is he the only one you had left? maybe something stunted his growth?
I lost a whole pen of chicks earl this summer. They went under the boards of their pen and went into the BCM pen and they were all killed. He was the ony one that didn't go in there. I have about 20 split and 10 Lav chicks growing out now. I know it's late in the year for chicks but thats where I'm at right now.

He appears to have split wing or slipped wing.
Is that something he can grow out of or is it permanent?

Yes I do know everyone has culls.I would be willing to trade my 2 best lavenders for her 2 worst and I think I would get the best end of the deal.Little Wing and this is sarcasm I would be willing to take that cull off your hands in exchange for one of my cockerels that is 1/2 Smith.I really would.If she really wants to learn I will dig up some old photos of some with faults.Ancestors of my current birds.I really stated things poorly.Sorry.There really is not much to say about birds from the 3 best bloodlines available other than nice birds.You are lucky.My offer is good.Ship them t.o me

Thanks jerryse. I would love to see pics of faults. I know she would also.
I don't want to get rid of him just yet. If nothing else, just to see what one with those faults early on turns out looking like when mature, just for my knowledge. I would be happy to ship some eggs to you when they start laying again.
I just can't express how fortunate I feel having these birds. I know I don't deserve them and they probably would have been put to better use with a more experienced breeder, but I am passionate about breeding Lavenders and am going to give it heck.
I just told my wife the other day, if we get a hurricane, we are taking the Shaffer roo and Showgirl in the Mustang with us when we evacuate.
smile.png

I ordered Paul Smith Lavs this spring. I only have 2 pullets, which look fine, but the cockerels are kind of weird... Take a look. I think they are leaking gold. I don't know what to do with them. These are the 3 rejects. I have one without the gold leak, but he's not great either. Kind of disappointed. Can this be fixed? They look good other than the gold.
did you get them DIRECT from Smith? some people sell birds that may have come from breeders BUT that does not make them Smith birds.

OK lets see if I can help.I lost a lot of old photos in a computer crash 2 years ago.A few were on other sites or devices.These were my birds both were undersized.Rooster had a high tail angle,tight feathered,breast not full enough,brassy from the sun.Hen has what some called the Farrah Fawcett hair.Swept back neck feathers.I am sure others can find more faults.I started my LF with 1 cock bird from John Blehm.Improved egg color and egg laying first and I have been improving size.Still not quite up to your birds yet.The Smith split hen I got from Paul last fall has really helped.

I just was hoping for a gender confirmation. I just hatched two new Lav Ameraucanas from TnTFarms they are almost 7 weeks old. I am not yet sure of the gender although I think I have one roo and one pullet.
I am new to this, but is there any issue with breeding in the chance that they may be related?

Graylee I think is a pullet, she is smaller with only a few pronounced "peas" in her comb

Fiona(I think is a roo ) Heeona? Is A LOT bigger than Graylee and has three rows of "peas" in his comb

Fiona in front Graylee behind

Graylee is on the right and Fiona on the left (the bigger Lav)

Graylee is the smaller one in the middle, eating in the next 2 pics And Fiona(Heona) is the one on the top

I do consider myself very lucky - not just in the breed bloodlines I received - but also in the fact that they came to me via mail from a couple that wanted to see my son have his passion fulfilled and it's done wonders for our relationship. We can connect now in a way that we never could before, over chickens - but the whole experience is worth so much more to me than bloodlines and origins.

After I picked up the eggs they came from in the local post office and got them into the van, I sat there and cried. Happy tears, hopeful tears, thankful tears. I still can't thank Little Wing and his wife enough for their kind, selfless gesture - and the gift of a friendship in the process.

So, enough of the mushy stuff ~ LOL!

I will get better pictures of our birds by the end of the weekend and put them up here. In their pasture/pen, there is little shade and the way the sun rises over the valley, it's very hard to get photos without sun unless it's overcast or clouding up for rain. If I have to, I can take each one into the garage and turn on the overhead lights (non-fluorescent, but 100-watt clear-view) and get down on the ground on their level and try my best to get the shots people are asking for. I'm over 5 months pregnant and big as a beach ball, so laying on the floor on my belly ain't happening - but I can figure something out on my side, I'm sure. :)

My cell has better pixel quality than my digital camera, and a better flash if needed. My digital camera is an older model Kodak, so my HTC kicks its butt in photo quality.

I know nothing of "show stance" nor do I know how to train for it. I have a local "chicken guru" buddy, and he's supposed to help me over the colder months with my birds as far as any training, etc for shows in the spring. As Donna pointed out, they're too young yet to show so we'll have to wait until spring's 4-H poultry meet/show to register any of these that "make the cut" for you experienced breeders in our ranks.

I'm totally new to this - have learned quite a bit from the thread as well as others' blogs that breed them as well. But there's nothing better than an experienced eye, and without the best photo quality, it's going to be hard for anyone here to help me - and I realize that, humbly. Y'all do not know how appreciative and grateful I am for the help you've given me directly or indirectly just in this thread alone.

I do consider myself very lucky - not just in the breed bloodlines I received - but also in the fact that they came to me via mail from a couple that wanted to see my son have his passion fulfilled and it's done wonders for our relationship. We can connect now in a way that we never could before, over chickens - but the whole experience is worth so much more to me than bloodlines and origins.

After I picked up the eggs they came from in the local post office and got them into the van, I sat there and cried. Happy tears, hopeful tears, thankful tears. I still can't thank Little Wing and his wife enough for their kind, selfless gesture - and the gift of a friendship in the process.

I will get better pictures of our birds by the end of the weekend and put them up here. In their pasture/pen, there is little shade and the way the sun rises over the valley, it's very hard to get photos without sun unless it's overcast or clouding up for rain. If I have to, I can take each one into the garage and turn on the overhead lights (non-fluorescent, but 100-watt clear-view) and get down on the ground on their level and try my best to get the shots people are asking for. I'm over 5 months pregnant and big as a beach ball, so laying on the floor on my belly ain't happening - but I can figure something out on my side, I'm sure. :)

My cell has better pixel quality than my digital camera, and a better flash if needed. My digital camera is an older model Kodak, so my HTC kicks its butt in photo quality.

I know nothing of "show stance" nor do I know how to train for it. I have a local "chicken guru" buddy, and he's supposed to help me over the colder months with my birds as far as any training, etc for shows in the spring. As Donna pointed out, they're too young yet to show so we'll have to wait until spring's 4-H poultry meet/show to register any of these that "make the cut" for you experienced breeders in our ranks.

I'm totally new to this - have learned quite a bit from the thread as well as others' blogs that breed them as well. But there's nothing better than an experienced eye, and without the best photo quality, it's going to be hard for anyone here to help me - and I realize that, humbly. Y'all do not know how appreciative and grateful I am for the help you've given me directly or indirectly just in this thread alone.
I remember when you got the eggs, and how happy you have been to connect with your son.

A few tips that might help. Inside the garage will probably be better as far as lighting. Put them in a dog kennel cage if you have one - or something open like that. Have it put on a sturdy table for you - about waist high or higher. Put food and water in there for them and leave them alone for a bit, let them relax and go back to their natural stance. This will also help for show training - because that's what they will be in then. Once they are relaxed you can take pictures If you go in and bring them tidbits every time you approach the cage that will keep them alert and responsive to people coming up to them, also good for show training. When you take them in and out they get used to being handled and judges like it when birds don't get all fussed about being handled.. all good things for show training, and you can start now and also get pictures so the pros can evaluate them for you...

That makes it all worthwhile. Kinda takes chickens to another level. And we owe it all to this thread!

I would like to say thank you to ALL of the people that take the time to critique peoples birds and give advice, and thank the breeders that these bloodlines came from. That being said, I don't really look at them as Ribbeck/Shaffer or whatever. They came from Crystal Creek and they were bred by Cindy from those bloodlines so they are Cindy's. She knew the right people to get them from and the right way to put them together or keep them pure. Now I have some of them and stress probably way more than I should over whether I am doing the right thing or not. Hopefully, with every ones help, in a few yrs I will have gone forward instead of backwards and my birds are known for their quality on their own. Thanks for the start Cindy!

Yes, I did get them directly from him. I got blacks also. I haven't talked to him about it yet. They are from different pens with different toe punches. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how hard it would be to correct.. or should I start over.

Back
Top Bottom