Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Chick from my first hatch of the season! However, 2/5 hatched with feathered legs... Is this something that crops up in the Lav Ams?
It shouldn't. I don't think I have ever seen it in mine. Don't breed them. They may fall off as they get older but I would not breed them. Double check your breeders too. I know that with Marans feathered legs work on 3 sets of genes and even if they don't express feathered legs they can carry them.

That's the plan. They weren't from my flock but from a friend's. I'm still waiting on mine to really start laying! They are taking their sweet time...

Thank you! Not one of the chicks with the feathered legs
smile.png

Crystal Creeks is where my stock came from originally (through Little Wing <3)...I should have my breeding pen built within the next month. Both Ranger and Cash (Lav and Split, respectively) are active with their four Lav/Split girls, and two are already laying the prettiest pastel blue eggs! I just sold the remaining Australorps I had to a friend last night (her flock was decimated by coyote issue, coop rebuild fixed the problem), so all I have left are my Lavs, Splits, an EE hen that I love dearly (she's my lap bird/pet), and a BOrp hen that my oldest saved from a broken wing last spring. I'll be culling the remaining roos (two EE and an Egyptian Fayoumi) this coming weekend, and that will leave Ranger and Cash to the flock of 6 girls. My one Lav hen, Lacey, is absolutely gorgeous. I'll try to get some more photos up now that they've grown out a bit better - my three Split girls are finishing molt, but are still gorgeous. So far, so good! I may experiment myself this season with breeding the ones I have before I offer any chicks or eggs to people - my middle son, Seth, is the genetics whiz. He's the reason we have these birds and it's so funny to listen to him rattle off these gene trait charts, like he was explaining his favorite game (he has Asperger's). HE will be the reason I'm able to keep track of them all! lol Their legs got bigger over the winter, so I'm going to buy new bands to replace the smaller ones. I'm thankful I had them color-coded in the beginning to know the breeding background! Once all 4 Lav/Split AM girls are laying, I'll attempt a hatch (because I want more myself, tbh) and report back here.

Back
Top Bottom