Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

That is blue . Lavender is recessive and takes 2 copies to show lavender . That mating can not produce lavender . So your rooster was blue or lavender and blue . If you use him you will get black lavender and blue . The blue and lavenders could have both genes .
Idk, but it looks more like a blue than a lavender... maybe it's just the light? These are my newest lavs, they're a bit lighter and brighter, but maybe it's the different lines?

That is blue . Lavender is recessive and takes 2 copies to show lavender . That mating can not produce lavender . So your rooster was blue or lavender and blue . If you use him you will get black lavender and blue . The blue and lavenders could have both genes .

Thank youfor your input. I went out and took a better picture of him for you guys. This is the baby.

I also found a picture that has dad, mom, and a blue copper marans in it (color comparison for dad). Malcolm was the dad. He's in the upper left corner of the picture (lav ameraucana). Sugar was the mom and is on the bottom right corner (white EE), and the blue copper Marans is in the bottom left corner. Not the best picture but good enough to see the colors.

ETA: can white plus lav give blue?

Last edited:
Thank youfor your input. I went out and took a better picture of him for you guys. This is the baby.

I also found a picture that has dad, mom, and a blue copper marans in it (color comparison for dad). Malcolm was the dad. He's in the upper left corner of the picture (lav ameraucana). Sugar was the mom and is on the bottom right corner (white EE), and the blue copper Marans is in the bottom left corner. Not the best picture but good enough to see the colors.

It is possible for blue to be hidden under white . It is often the case in some breeds . Usually present to give a whiter bird . The rooster does look lavender but some lines have blue mixed in . Not recommended to mix the two . I recently informed someone on the Facebook Ameraucana project breeders that her lav x lav breedings that produced some blacks had blue in the mix . Lav x lav = all lav . This is why you should not mix the 2 as they are really hard to tell the true color . Test breed the hen to another color rooster to see if she produces blue .

It is possible for blue to be hidden under white . It is often the case in some breeds . Usually present to give a whiter bird . The rooster does look lavender but some lines have blue mixed in . Not recommended to mix the two . I recently informed someone on the Facebook Ameraucana project breeders that her lav x lav breedings that produced some blacks had blue in the mix . Lav x lav = all lav . This is why you should not mix the 2 as they are really hard to tell the true color . Test breed the hen to another color rooster to see if she produces blue .

I would love to test breed her but unfortunately I found her dead this morning under the roost bar :( it looked like someone had jumped on her while she was climbing under and broke her neck. It's heartbreaking :( she was one of my original girls.

I think that I will order some lavender Ameraucana eggs off of eBay for breeding, any tips that I need to know for breeding them? And how to make them top quality?

I think that I will order some lavender Ameraucana eggs off of eBay for breeding, any tips that I need to know for breeding them? And how to make them top quality?

First I'll say be careful of ebay, lots of good breeders use it (and many BYCers), but also many scammers too... you want to start with the best you can find/get to start with also... best bet is to check out the ABC directory and look for breeders with Lavs that sell hatching eggs... may cost you a bit more to start, but will save you loads in the long run... good luck... :)

http://ameraucana.org/docs/breedersdirectory_2015.pdf

First I'll say be careful of ebay, lots of good breeders use it (and many BYCers), but also many scammers too... you want to start with the best you can find/get to start with also... best bet is to check out the ABC directory and look for breeders with Lavs that sell hatching eggs... may cost you a bit more to start, but will save you loads in the long run... good luck...
smile.png

http://ameraucana.org/docs/breedersdirectory_2015.pdf

And don't forget the Ameraucana Directory of the Ameraucana Alliance.

I got my lavender bantams using the Ameraucana Alliance's directory. As for eBay, be careful. I clicked a link from Facebook out of curiosity and found a seller posting this:

You will be receiving 6+ beautiful Ameraucana (mixed colors we have any color you can think of :) ) Hatching eggs we do show them! All of our breeds are show quality! Enjoy hatching these beautiful blue, and green egg laying chickens with all the different color possibilities your eggs will contain!

Not one of the birds in the photos was of an approved Ameraucana color.

I have recently Hatched out what looks to be a silver/purple Americana
(Mix of Americana and Cemani)

The two are already very different in color from other Americana Chicks I have seen.
I am excited to see what colors develop
(the colors in this picture are the closest, but you cant see the purple highlights in this picture)

and yes , my wife gave them a plush lemur to be a surrogate mom...
(I wish my wife had not gotten all artsy with the color of this photo)

To the eye the chicks are much more silver and blue than these pictures..
better pictures coming...

I purchased this boy from a breeder. He is now about 8 months old. He has a yellowish hue to his blue. How will this effect offspring? Also any comments about structure would be appreciated.

I'd like to breed him with the following two pullets once they start laying. They're only 20 weeks so I'm very expectant.

Back
Top Bottom