Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

Thanks for this information, Jean. How do you find out the status for each size? I guess my question is who is keeping tab on the qualification criteria? Is there somewhere to go to find out exactly what is left before they meet all the requirements or is it a bit more nebulous than just having all the boxes ticked?

-Temple

Regarding the names lavender and self blue, I had heard there was a disagreement. But I had got the impression that it was the lavender breeders who couldn't agree amongst themselves on the name they prefer. I didn't know it was the APA that was disagreeing with the breeders. (I don't know a whole heck of a lot either way.
wink.png
)

But I was wondering, the gene for lavender is a completely different gene from the blue, so why would they want to confuse the issue by using the word blue twice? To a novice in chickens, when they see that some are blue and some are self blue, they might think that means the same thing. Also, aren't there already lavender varieties in other breeds, like the Orpingtons? So if the precedent is set one way, shouldn't the other breeds follow suit?

It seems to me that it ought to have been called "dilute" in the first place, but it looks like that ship has sailed.

There was never a disagreement with the breeders it was with the APA and ABA.

The older generation has used the term self blue for many years and want to stick with it. Even though we tried the argument that the genes are different.

And, the only birds in the standard that are lavender at this time are guineas.

The silkie people went ahead and got their birds accepted as self blue. No other breed has got the color accepted under the term lavender.

The older generation has used the term self blue for many years and want to stick with it. Even though we tried the argument that the genes are different.

Aw, well that sucks.
sad.png
Too bad you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

And, the only birds in the standard that are lavender at this time are guineas.

The silkie people went ahead and got their birds accepted as self blue.
Well, then it sounds like the precedence has been set for self blue, so it might be best to just follow suit.
hu.gif

No other breed has got the color accepted under the term lavender.

These are the birds I got yesterday. Can someone please critique them, and tell me what my best next step to breeding them might be? I am ashamed to admit I don't really know much about genetics or show quality but have been reading up the past few days.

Ameraucanas and EEs are our favorite breed. In the past we have always just kept a mixed flock, hatched the eggs, and waited anxiously to see the different colors we were going to produce.

This will be my first breeding project. We don't show birds, so I really don't want it to become a big headache, but I want to produce nice birds.

I am picking up a black ameraucana rooster tomorrow to breed with these girls to improve their quality. Do these all look like pullets? The guy who sold them to me had too many other lavender projects going on to introduce a new breed and find the time to look for a rooster to go with this bunch. If he would have had a lavender hatch out he would have kept them and bred them.

Last edited:
Is there any way to see if a bird carries the lavender gene without breeding to a lavender? I have 9 blacks and some should be split to lavender. I'm only keeping one of the three roos and I want to make the best choice possible. Right now I'm going by their shape and combs but if there's a way to tell if they carry lav,that would help lol

Is there any way to see if a bird carries the lavender gene without breeding to a lavender? I have 9 blacks and some should be split to lavender. I'm only keeping one of the three roos and I want to make the best choice possible. Right now I'm going by their shape and combs but if there's a way to tell if they carry lav,that would help lol
Not sure of anyway other than test breeding... You could test breed split to split and get lavs that way. If the parent stock has discernible differences between the blacks and lavs you may be able to select on an attribute that clearly comes from the lav side but you are certainly taking chances that way...,

Not sure of anyway other than test breeding... You could test breed split to split and get lavs that way. If the parent stock has discernible differences between the blacks and lavs you may be able to select on an attribute that clearly comes from the lav side but you are certainly taking chances that way...,

Thanks. I don't know the parent stock unfortunately as I hatched them all from shipped eggs. I do know that they were from a split x split pen.

Back
Top Bottom