Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

"In all sections preference given to a medium shade of clear blue."

That hen does look medium shade of blue.... so now I get why the Ameraucana breeders club preferred "self blue" over "lavender". Seems like they were looking for a Blue Ameraucana of uniform color, without lacing, that breeds true. I guess that makes sense. Too bad, I really love the lighter "lavender" color myself. The bird in the picture is certainly a beautiful bird with great type... just kinda blue. Thanks for clearing that up.

That hen does look medium shade of blue.... so now I get why the Ameraucana breeders club preferred "self blue" over "lavender".  Seems like they were looking for a Blue Ameraucana of uniform color, without lacing, that breeds true. I guess that makes sense. Too bad, I really love the lighter "lavender" color myself. The bird in the picture is certainly a beautiful bird with great type... just kinda blue. Thanks for clearing that up.

The Ameraucana Breeders Club did not prefer self blue over lavender. We went with what the APA said they would accept and the standard was written based on the previously accepted color for self blue.

I looked at the picture of what is proposed as medium shade of lavender. The 1998 books shows an OEG bantam self blue to be much darker in color, the self blue OEG bantams that as shown are much lighter than the proposed self blue color of the ameraucana. I have seen at least 5 different shades of lavender aka self blues so the medium to me is not the medium to others eyes apparently. What a perplexed situation for one to decide which is the correct shade of self blue plus a male of this color shade(as suggested) is not very appealing to the eye. IMO since I am one of the creators of the Lavender aka self blue.

I looked at the picture of what is proposed as medium shade of lavender. The 1998 books shows an OEG bantam self blue to be much darker in color, the self blue OEG bantams that as shown are much lighter than the proposed self blue color of the ameraucana. I have seen at least 5 different shades of lavender aka self blues so the medium to me is not the medium to others eyes apparently. What a perplexed situation for one to decide which is the correct shade of self blue plus a male of this color shade(as suggested) is not very appealing to the eye. IMO since I am one of the creators of the Lavender aka self blue.
But remember, Harry, that lavender is not aka self blue. They are two distinct varieties created by entirely different genes.

John, I know. In the early 1900's when they bred black to white orpington they got blues without any lacing and that is when or possibly when the phrase "Self Blue" was created for these blues that were not Andalusian marked. I have had orpington that hatched blue without lacing already which does not now meet the APA standards.

John, I know. In the early 1900's when they bred black to white orpington they got blues without any lacing and that is when or possibly when the phrase "Self Blue" was created for these blues that were not Andalusian marked. I have had orpington that hatched blue without lacing already which does not now meet the APA standards.
I know you know, but I don't want others to start to assume lavender and self blue are the same just because some say they are. The truth matters and I see this forum as an opportunity to inform and educate.

I know you know, but I don't want others to start to assume lavender and self blue are the same just because some say they are.  The truth matters and I see this forum as an opportunity to inform and educate.

I'm unfortunately going to be driving for an hour, but would like to ask then... what is the difference between Lavender and Self Blue?

Back
Top Bottom