Lavender Ameraucana Breeders .... UNITE

That's awesome advice and great to know!Do all Lavender Roosters have a little brownish gold mixed into them? My main rooster has some in his feathers now but he didn't Always have it. Do they molt that out?

That's awesome advice and great to know!Do all Lavender Roosters have a little brownish gold mixed into them? My main rooster has some in his feathers now but he didn't Always have it. Do they molt that out?

Get a good pic and post it... can't tell what that is without seeing it, lol...

Here is my main breeding rooster. He is a year old. I got him at 4 months and he didn't have the brown or golden feathers. Now he does. I was told they would molt off but they haven't gone anywhere. Is this typical for Lavender roosters or is this to much leakage?

Another problem I have is I'm allowing my Lavender hens to get broody. I'm having a better turn out naturally then an incubator i spent over 200 bucks on. The problem I have now is the one Lavender wants to go in the nest with the other lav. Its freaking me out because i feel the other eggs in the other nest won't get enough heat.Am I over reacting and should i just put all the eggs in one nest or does this mean something? Thank you so much for your help

So I am asking a question that everyone seems to ask....Is it a boy or girl? I lost the one I named Lavender last weekend and still have the one I named Levi. I named them that way because of size differences in them from day 1....Levi's legs are larger, Levi was larger...his comb seemed different. I have been reaserching and it sounds like Amerecaunas can mature slower. They hatched April 10th...so they are a little over 5 months.
Levi is grieving the loss of Lavender so please excuse the lack of happiness in his/hers eyes.
And don't mind the over eager look in Susan's eyes...nothing seems to sadden her.

Here is my main breeding rooster. He is a year old. I got him at 4 months and he didn't have the brown or golden feathers. Now he does. I was told they would molt off but they haven't gone anywhere. Is this typical for Lavender roosters or is this to much leakage?

Could be sun bleaching and not leakage, those are 2 different things... has he even molted yet? Also, how much space around his roost does he have? Looks like he might be roosting too close to a wall or something, his tail is very damaged... looks like more than fretting there...

Another problem I have is I'm allowing my Lavender hens to get broody. I'm having a better turn out naturally then an incubator i spent over 200 bucks on. The problem I have now is the one Lavender wants to go in the nest with the other lav. Its freaking me out because i feel the other eggs in the other nest won't get enough heat.Am I over reacting and should i just put all the eggs in one nest or does this mean something? Thank you so much for your help

Either block them into their nests, letting them out to eat, drink, poo and exercise once a day, or move them into their own secure areas... some can brood together well and some don't... better to avoid issues than wait for any to happen...

Levi is a pullet... how did you lose Lavender? Levi is looking a bit peaked... how is her eating, drinking and pooping? Have you checked for lice or mites?

That's what I thought...but not really sure. Thank you.
I'm not sure why Lavender passed....my husband really thinks my love kept her alive. I think she had vitamin deficiencies and I got her back to normal...she had a growth spurt a few days before we had to go out of town...and she started to act different again. So I started her B and E vitamins, she started getting better. I moved my little flock to my grandpas for the weekend (we had to go out of town for a interview). She was normal when I dropped her off. I checked on her the in the morning before we left town and she looked dead. Her 3 sisters were all huddled around her, saying good bye. I called her and she didn't move...started crying because I thought she was dead. I went in to pick her up and she lifted her head and opened her eyes and started chirping to me. She was back to normal an hour later when we left. But 3 days later when we came home my grandpa said she passed away that morning, we didn't get home till 3pm. So I honestly don't know what she died from. She was a very talkative, cuddly and needy chick.
I don't know what is wrong with Levi....they all looked pale up until 2 weeks ago. Susan was just as pale, then overnight she is bright red, she laid her first egg, the day after Lavender died. Some days Levi will have more color in his (her...that's gonna take some time to get used to) comb...her legs will even start to look hot pink under the gray and between her toes.
Appetite is good, water consumption is good, poo looks good. No mites, lice or fleas.
Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I have a question for the more experienced breeders on this thread. What happens if you inbreed Lavenders? I have 3 Lavender Amerucana roosters I haven't sold. Can they cause deformations in the chick's if they mate with their mothers?

How do i keep good geans in my Lavenders? I was told to get a black Amerucana rooster to make better color and feather quality. Is that true? I get confused by the chart because i don't know what a splash, wheaten Amerucana even looks like.

Lavenders to me are the most gorgeous birds. I sell the chick's to pay for the feed and take my family out to dinner once a month. More importantly, i want to help get the breed out there and not deliver a bad product to customers making the breed look bad. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

If your rooster hasn't always had the brown hue to his feathers and is just now getting it, it may be the result of him getting ready to molt. Leakage usually presents itself by 5-6 months of age. It is common for birds to do this when they prepare to molt and shed their feathers/replenish them.

Yes, self blues/lavenders are prone to fretting/poor feather quality. Breeding in black is the best way to correct this. Just continually select for the best quality birds and breed those forward, and it will eventually break the cycle. :) Like ravynfallen mentioned, you would need to mark the blacks split to lavender, and would want to be sure to keep those out of a pure black breeding program. Breeding split to split is a good way to improve fretting relatively quickly if it is present, but you would only produce 25% lavender, and the splits would all need to be culled or made a part of a backyard flock, unless you wanted to test breed them all (not worthwhile IMO). :)

Good luck with your plans! I have been doing a lot of in depth studying/research on the self blue/lavender color. If you ever have any questions feel free to send me a message.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom