Lavender cuckoo easter egger

so what you have is cuckoo male with slate legs. what color skin. white or yellow? what do the combs look like? the birds you produce maybe helpful in this project.
what do the pullets look like? have you bred these to genes together? what was the outcome? i will have to ask the others what they think.
if we all concur your bird is useful to the project . i have no trouble importing some of your birds. if usa customs agents do not have a ban.

/
I have yet to produce a cuckoo male with slate leg, and not because I cant do it, is just that I am still gathering the genetic material need it for such a complex breeding.... but I get closer with time..

ok, I know this isn't the right place to post this, but thought I'd ask - I picked up a lavender cuckoo hen from GooseandFig - I had her in isolation, but some how she escaped and got into my Cream Legbar pen - just for fun I thought I'd hatch some of her eggs - They've hatched - I'm wondering what they might possibly grow out to look like? They should have double barring factor as both mother and father are barred - but I don't see any obvious signs that some are male or some are female (I was hoping for sex linked) lots of color genetics in this mix - but they should have barring I think - the lavender color does not show - but I didn't think that it would - they do have muffs though

I managed to hatch three chicks recently that are feathering in lavender barred. We will see what they turn out like. So maybe I have a start at least. I used a blue ameracauna rooster and barred EE hen.

I managed to hatch three chicks recently that are feathering in lavender barred. We will see what they turn out like. So maybe I have a start at least. I used a blue ameracauna rooster and barred EE hen.

How did you get lavender from blue and barred?
I wouldn't think that that was possible.

Candled 11 eggs set 9/14 from this cockerel.7 good ones.Under a broody hen.From cuckoo hens.One is a cuckoo split.So mostly cuckoo splits when they hatch.Crossing my fingers for a double barred cockerel.I plan to offer chicks come spring.

Candled 11 eggs set 9/14 from this cockerel.7 good ones.Under a broody hen.From cuckoo hens.One is a cuckoo split.So mostly cuckoo splits when they hatch.Crossing my fingers for a double barred cockerel.I plan to offer chicks come spring.
You're one step ahead of me! My cockerels aren't quite old enough to put over the cuckoo hens yet, I was hoping to get some hatched before winter, but looks like its going to waiting until spring. I should be able to have some 100% cuckoo offspring in the spring as well through. I'm looking forward to it!

They can be used much younger than you may think.4 months old works.I have another project with a 3 month old cockerel that I will try if I can get a suitable hen laying.2week wait on the hen to clear out and save eggs until I get fertility.

Thanks for the information on finding this thread, Jerry it is very interesting reading. I like the Lavender Cuckoo color better than the Barred birds, I am partial to Lavender. When you get to Isabella Cuckoo
droolin.gif

I have a genetic novice's thought on an earlier idea that the recessive white from Silkies might be different from other recessive white and may suppress the leakage present with the barring gene. Perhaps the recessive white gene isn't different, but perhaps they carry another gene that represses the lack of pigment on the legs because of years of breeding and selecting Silkies for only the birds with good dark legs? Most Silkies colors are not based on E (not even the Black ones) - they are based on E^Wh or E^R or other bases (even e+ I think) - and to get good black skin with Wheaten you need something extra - so perhaps some breeders bred for that special gene that represses the lighter skin in the Wheaten based Whites without knowing that is what they were selecting? Perhaps its the gene nicalandia was talking about finding - and it may be present in some White Silkies? It may also be present in Buff Silkies - because some Buffs have good dark black legs but lighter red combs from being Wheaten based - but they lack the "smut" black feathers that the Berken based Buffs get so that's how you can tell their base.

P.S. If anybody decides to cross a Silkie in with their Lav Cuckoo EEs just to test the theory I would like some eggs from that cross - I would absolutely love to have some blue egg laying Silkies.. just sayin
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom