Lavender cuckoo easter egger

Project update. Recent pics of the pair in previous plus chicks hatched 2-21-14. All out of the lav cuckoo cockerel and cuckoo hens. 1 lav so one of the hens is split for lav.

I was sharing this thread with a friend and thought I would post some pictures - looking forward to having offspring with 2 barring factors with the next generation!

would be nice to "Test" to see if its Dermal or Epidermal Melanin.. unfortunately to perfrom this test the bird must be dead..

Here it is. I butchered some cuckoo/ barred project cockerels today . I scalded the legs and removed the outer layer . From left white inner layer and toes still have outer layer. The next 3 sets have slate inner layer and some spotting . set 3 has outer layer still on toes . These were cuckoo split for lavender . The first set were a double barred cockerel and had the poorest leg color of the double barred . The other 3 were single barred based on darker feather color. I have to thin out the cockerels as they grow and keep the best . Single barred pullet leg color is good.

Here it is. I butchered some cuckoo/ barred project cockerels today . I scalded the legs and removed the outer layer . From left white inner layer and toes still have outer layer. The next 3 sets have slate inner layer and some spotting . set 3 has outer layer still on toes . These were cuckoo split for lavender . The first set were a double barred cockerel and had the poorest leg color of the double barred . The other 3 were single barred based on darker feather color. I have to thin out the cockerels as they grow and keep the best . Single barred pullet leg color is good.

Wow so Informative

Back
Top Bottom