Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
I'm guessing 1 and 5 are roos. Now I have to ask. How are they laying? How are their weights? I've got two blacks from Jody and they are very nice. I also have a couple of whites from her too that are nicer than her lavenders. I've got to post some pics I know. Perhaps tomorrow. My camera just doesn't take good pics.

Quote:
That looks like a white chick. Is it possible a White breed egg was included by accident? or do you have White birds in your flocks background? Your photo looks like a pure white. There has been some white sports in Buff Orps of late. I would contact whomever you got your eggs from and ask questions. You may have a valuable bird or just Sunday dinner.

ETA: It is definetly not a mottled.

ChooksChick- you are right- as they get more feathers, the Lavender is starting to come in now, they are mottled. I will let them get bigger and put more photos up. I also have one 'half-size' 6 week old Lav chick that is slow to feather, looking like a cockeral, but he is the darkest color I have seen, will get some photos of him in the next few days.

I am thinning out my lavender orpington flock to just three adults for now (have chicks in the brooder box and waiting to see feathering and shaping out on those). I have three with the feathering where it almost looks like someone teased it or they've been in a bad booty tail fight. lol. Can't think of best way to describe it. I know it's been talked about before but those are the three I am thinking of selling or culling. What do you think?

Quote:
I have 6th generation going on now and all have the broken feather type. That's why it's a project bird! Putting these back on english blacks, just not the look that I want.

Updated Mottled Lavender photos, they are going on 8 weeks now, amazing how the coloring changed.
88585_img_2820.jpg

88585_img_2823.jpg

My husband rescued two buff and one marbled Orp hens and even though we hand raised all of our hens those girls are the sweetest. The Buffs are Lucy (Lucille Ball) and Annie (Annie Oakley) but I can't tell them apart so I call them Lucy Ann. They come up to be petted whenever I'm doing my barn chores. They are my new fav breed. And they come in lavender? My hubby did say he wouldn't mind a lavender...::evil grin::

Jenn

I should get a pic of the lavs also, since this is the lavender thread, but this chick hatched from the same group, and has me baffled. He was hatched with all yellow down, and began feathering pure white. Then he began to develope a sort of columbia pattern of dark color, which may be completely black in time. As the columbia pattern became visible, the white base became very off-white and cream mixed, with pale buff concentrated in places, especially the head and wings. There was a chance for isabel in the genetics, and his base coat kind of looks like it, but wouldn't think that darker pattern would show if he is. I'm unsure if the feathers are displaying wire damage or genetic fray. Any thoughts?

44349_orp2.jpg

44349_orp1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom