Lavender Orpington project ....

Welllllllll, I don't know what you want. This is what I want mine to look like.....

lavender%20pekin.jpg

268_lavender_hen.jpg

235_lavender_rooster.jpg

TaraDee- your birds look too young to assess. They can take 12 or more months to show their potential. Personally, I breed for their heritage look and breed qualities as set forth by William Cook. Orpington were developed to have good productive and meat qualities.

Kathy - in my opinion, those first two pics look like pekins/cochins. I do not want my lavender orps to look like that, as they don't represent the orpington shape of William Cook's orps at all. Orpington fluff should not be so profuse that it takes away from their body shape. The rooster looks nice though.

Quote:
Kathy,
They are lovely. I wonder though about the breeding issues. It seems a lot of folks are having trouble with consistent fertility in the english orps.

Here is the latest hatch.
21675_32511hatch_and_chicks_001.jpg

The Lavenders definitely cha-chinger offspring. They are all piled up in a corner trying to make a pyramid of poof! They are as dumb as their daddy! And before anyone yells, it isn't because they are too hot or too cold. They just aren't super smart. Pretty to look at but dumb! LOL! Hopefully none of these will try to drown themselves. That is their father's favorite trick.

Last edited:
Quote:
We all have our opinions. To me they look like Orpingtons to the British standard, ..... because that is exactly what they are, actually. That is what I am aiming for. I am not happy with the Leghornish or Australorp look. I know it will take some time, but it is a fun project. The English standard Orpington is just beautiful in my eyes. That is my opinion, and what I am hoping for.

Quote:
We all have our opinions. To me they look like Orpingtons to the British standard, ..... because that is exactly what they are, actually. That is what I am aiming for. I am not happy with the Leghornish or Australorp look. I know it will take some time, but it is a fun project. The English standard Orpington is just beautiful in my eyes. That is my opinion, and what I am hoping for.

I think yours are beautiful Kathy!! Something i'd like to strive for. Seeing as this is a project there is alot of inconsistency right now. Once there is a standard then we will know what the APA looks for, and how to get it. However to each their own and I love my birds that I got from Sarah!!! I've noticed alot of birds tend to look washed out. I like a little definition in the coloring. Gives them depth.

Quote:
Now that's what I'm talking about. Beautiful and show a distinct difference between Australorps and Orpingtons. Are those yours Kathy?

No, not mine. That is what my goal is though! The last 2 pictures are here in the United States, too!
ya.gif

Quote:
My only Lavender rooster, who does not look real Orpy, does he? I have him with a 10 pound black "English type" girl and the two in these photos.

31282_2-23-2011_flock_018.jpg

31282_ship3-21-2011008.jpg

31282_2-23-2011_flock_032.jpg

I like the type (or shape) of one of my blue girls here .....

31282_2-23-2011_flock_035.jpg

Back
Top Bottom