Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
This is how it was explained to me .... The color, "blue," in the animal world is a grey shade, such as a blue heeler dog (it is grey). Grey chickens are called, "blue." Lavender is also called, "self blue," as another term. The easiest way to tell the difference in blue and lavender is by looking at the feather shaft .... blue has a dark shaft, and lavender has a light or white shaft.

Now, I am not 100% on this information, but this is how I understand it.

Another thing is .... you can't, "make," lavender from a blue or other. It is a gene, and has to originate from a bird with the lavender gene.

Quote:
AHHHH HAAAA ! ! ! Been waitin' for you!
love.gif
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pictures!
love.gif

Lavender is a recessive gene. The lav/lav is what produces this color.

Blue is Bl/bl to make blue. Bl/Bl makes splash.
wink.png

I have two baby orps that were said to be splash. They are five weeks old now. One looks lavender. I looked at her feather shafts and they start dark and then end light. I guess that means that is a good sign. I have no knowledge about lavenders, but I am wondering if mine is a lavender, then should I try to breed her. There is a local breeder close by who has a black orp. She might let my lavender visit her orp for some eggs, I am sure she will. I really know little to nothing about chicken breeding, and I am not finding as many answers online as I would hope. Any recommendations to learn more about breeding?

Lavender is the color variety we call it here in the states, and they are derived from the Self-Blue gene. It is very different from the colors derived from the Analusion Blue gene which are the Blue and Splash varieties. Meaning, you cannot get a true Lavender from a Blue or Splash mating. A simple chart you can refer to is the breeding chart found here: http://www.bluepoultry.com/Breeding_Chart.html

We're getting there. I would say after my next cross I will feel good about calling them orps. I want to see how they turn out first though. They are getting very close and showing excellent type. Maybe by end of this year.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom