Lavender Orpington project ....

Quote:
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
So far two lavenders out, anxiously waiting on the last three!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Yes, yes, yes ..... do tell .... show and tell time!
clap.gif

Jody,
I have a question for ya. I hatched a few black mottled that I kept. If I breed them, do they breed true? They still have the Lavender gene, right? Would I just keep breeding them to each other or what?

Oh, and I gotta get a picture .... ya know that one that is a lavender mottled, and looks SOOOO Lavender ... well she is molting and alot more white is coming in. She is gonna be even prettier, I think!
clap.gif

Congrats HenT!
celebrate.gif
Always exciting to have new babies.
wee.gif

Kathy - In my tests the mottleds bred true - the ones that hatch cream colored. If they have the lav gene really depends on how they were bred. If you bred black to black, it may not be in the offspring. If both black mottleds carried the gene, it would be in about 25% of the offspring, but it's not easy to figure out which ones. I'd love to see a new pic of your lav mottled after her moult. I never got to see any of those moult, as I culled them fairly early in the project, but I bet they look pretty.

Quote:
I hatched quite a few of the Lavender mottled, and I gave them to my neighbor with the promise that she will let me photograph them along the way. She thought it would be a fun project, and I get the benefit of not having to house or feed them!
lol.png

I've hatched quite a few with white feathertips on the breast and wings that disappear with the adult plumage coming in, around 13 or 14 weeks. I've marked these, in hopes I'll be able to come back to them and find out for sure if I have any that are split for mottling by putting them together. If so, then I'll be able to shoot for Porcelain once I'm good on the Isabels...in a jillion years.
he.gif

Now that I am looking at a Gold Laced project, too, I can't help but wonder what is wrong with me, and is anyone else this obsessed?

Is anyone else wondering how the fluff on an English-type Orp will look with the feather degeneration that occurs with the Lavender gene? The feather quality suffers quite a bit with the mutation, and thus I wonder whether the type will suffer.

Quote:
Allot of mine start out with white tips, both lavs and split blacks, hmmmm??

You know I am obsessed!!
tongue.png

I will be hopefully hatching some of the English-type splits later this fall, time will tell what it will do to the feather quality. I am just hopeing to bring some of that beautiful body into my lavenders.
big_smile.png

AND: I have three lavenders out so far under Serama mama!!
celebrate.gif
Two more to go. She is such a good and sweet mother too..
love.gif
Can't wait to take some pics!

HenThymes yup we are growing out some full lavenders (sorry about 7 week olds at the moment) that will have that look.. cant wait in a few months to see the lav fluff again..
**secret released=way cool: Buff Mottled orpingtons, plus others growing out....pictures coming real soon..
love.gif

should be an awesome 2011...
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom