Lavender Orpington project ....

I'll include here what I just told someone privately. I think it's important for people to understand that the lavender orpington project is a work in progress and needs ongoing efforts for improvement.

It is pretty likely they will need additional breeding towards breed conformation which means you should recross them back to black orps to improve type and select good breeders. All of the birds out there are projects and warrant ongoing breeding to standard. We are currently working on our 6th cross to continue improvement on our line. If you just want them for pets it doesn't really matter. You could get lucky and get some that are close or really nice looking, so it's really hard to say until you grow them out and you see how they turn out in person.

As far as how to breed them, I go both directions. I use a great black orp roo over lavender hens and a lav roo over large, typey black hens to move them forward. I hope this helps.

Quote:
I agree with everything Jody said... but I still want to say..

I ordered some of the 6th generation birds and they are more typey already than most of the hatchery birds I've owned and they are HUGE! Mine are only a few months old, and they are already almost as big as our hatchery Orps were at a year old. If someone is looking for pets, these are already great. I know the conversation is on the show aspects and getting them up to the standard, but I know there are a lot of people who just want some nice pretty birds.
Just wanted to let those people who are not interested in breeding to standard or that just want nice birds around that you would be very pleased with them even now.

Quote:

I ordered some of the 6th generation birds and they are more typey already than most of the hatchery birds I've owned and they are HUGE! Mine are only a few months old, and they are already almost as big as our hatchery Orps were at a year old. If someone is looking for pets, these are already great. I know the conversation is on the show aspects and getting them up to the standard, but I know there are a lot of people who just want some nice pretty birds.
Just wanted to let those people who are not interested in breeding to standard or that just want nice birds around that you would be very pleased with them even now.

But...They are still not a standard even if they are better than hatchery standard orps. If you want pets and eggs I consider them the same as a crossbred chicken. If you want to work on improving them to the Orpington standard with type they are a project in the works. I use mine over good type black orps including the roo over lav hens and black orp hens over a lav rooster. My two cents.

Last edited:
Quote:

But...They are still not a standard even if they are better than hatchery standard orps. If you want pets and eggs I consider them the same as a crossbred chicken. If you want to work on improving them to the Orpington standard with type they are a project in the works. I use mine over good type black orps including the roo over lav hens and black orp hens over a lav rooster. My two cents.

I have two cents as well.........
If you choose not to work on the project, please don't litter the market with "Pure Lavender Orpingtons" including here & ebay. Just keep them as yard candy. Please?! It's so frustrating to work on the project & watch others get them to make a quick buck. It's disheartening to the point that I'm considering giving them up.
sad.png

Quote:

If you choose not to work on the project, please don't litter the market with "Pure Lavender Orpingtons" including here & ebay. Just keep them as yard candy. Please?! It's so frustrating to work on the project & watch others get them to make a quick buck. It's disheartening to the point that I'm considering giving them up.
sad.png

amen sista
old.gif

I don't begrudge anyone wanting to make a buck. It is not up to us how others choose to raise their birds or how they sell them (or market them). There are loads of cross breeds sold, marketed as pure (besides the hatcheries). Oh well ........ We must all just do what we think is best in our own situations. It is "buyer beware," in all markets.

Just my opinion.
hu.gif
But then, I didn't get mine to make money off of. I got them because I like the color.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
sad.png

amen sista
old.gif

Well, I have to agree!! I'm tired of working on a project and then have people making a buck to unsuspecting buyers who "think" they have an original real thing!!!!

I agree with all the points above. I wasn't trying to say they are perfect or even close to the Standard, I just think sometimes those, like myself, who are new to them would be terrified to even own any from some of the negative points talked about so much. I did say that they were nice for those wanting pets or just some backyard chickens. I was never at any point led to believe they were anything other than project birds by Jody. She was very nice in answering all my questions and helping me make an educated choice.

And btw, I don't sell Lavenders period. I had intended on trying to work with everyone else that are working on them to improve the breed, but just have too many other projects going on to give it a true effort. So now they are just pretty yard candy. I would never sell any type bird as "pure" anything if they are not.
I've been working with Orloffs and have had lots of folks offer to buy both chicks and eggs from me, some for completly crazy prices, but although I have given hundreds away or sold them as eatting birds, I have yet to sell the first Orloff as a "purebreed Orloff". I expect it to be at least another three to four years before I will sell any as they are a "project" bird also. I might never get them to the point I want them. And I'm raising 400 to 600 chicks a year and culling starting from the brooder.

I'm so sorry if I offended anyone. My post was for us normal folks, not the professional expert breeders.

So again, sorry if I stirred up a can of worms.

I'll just go back to lurking and learning.

I don't think the post was directly pointed at you...many get frustrated seeing these projects being sold as pure on eBay and the like. This reminds me of the whole "ameraucana" thing....talk about opening a can of worms
lol.png
I also have these for my own enjoyment, as well as my other breeds. I actually got these by accident, got a greenfire farm rare breed special and they came in the box...

Back
Top Bottom