Lavender Orpington project ....

I'm new to raising chickens and have 3 Lavender Orpingtons that are two weeks old. So stupid question time-- when will they be
able or willing to start pecking on things like greens or small tomatoes? Mine act like whatever I put in there besides chick starter is a bomb ready to explode.

Last edited:
I'm new to raising chickens and have 3 Lavender Orpingtons that are two weeks old. So stupid question time-- when will they be
able or willing to start pecking on things like greens or small tomatoes? Mine act like whatever I put in there besides chick starter is a bomb ready to explode.

I'm anxiously waiting for the answer to this one. I'm having the same problem. I have 13 five wk. olds, and they act as if I've put something horrible in with them. I've tried all kinds of things, even watermelon. I thought maybe it had to do with the breed.

How long do they stay in a brooder? Mine are in a cage and are already more than twice the size they were when I got them at 5 days.

We use tote brooders in the house for about a week or two.

Then we relocate them to a recycled rabbit hutch.
We use a lower hotwater tank thermostat in every brooder, including the totes. This allows the temp to remain what we want. We leave the chicks in the hutch for about 2 more weeks. Then move them into a brooder house that is 6'wx6'Lx6'H. When they are fully feathered our chicks go into our 5x8 backyard coops.

LL

Back
Top Bottom