Lavender Orpington Thread

Time to come out and say hello again! RobGray had babies hatch from our eggs and apparently a mottled lavender has joined her midst. I'm interested in this as it has been a long time since we have had mottled in our midst. I believe she had a total of 12 lavs hatch and one mottled and we shipped out 14 eggs. and she ordered a dozen from someone else. I think 11 of the hatched were from us! Happy with that. Now for the background. We were some of the first to have hinkjc lineage lavender orpingtons. We started with a solid lav quad hatched out babies and then bought splits and hatch and hatched and hatched. then kept working with them. Our farm thought all the mottleds had left and then there was rob gray's babiesand one other BYC who talked about the "yellow" bird. Happily RobGray provided pictures... and yes it had occured. The pictures sent to me are indeed mottled and there are the dots of deep lavender that are on her/him. Our mottleds always grew out to be lavender. Long time no see and "they are back"...... All of our hens and roos are perfect lavenders..... all lavender in appearance. The only cross that was ever made was to blacks and the only line we have worked with was Hink Jc. Hink's line several years ago had mottleds in it, Look like ours has had a come back, be it a small percentage one.

So, just to say our mottleds babies have always feathered out lavender. This year should I hatch out mottled babies, and watch them not come out for me, I'm setting aside a separate pen for them as I want a mottled project!!!!
Rob Gray's baby

Side shot of Rob Gray's yellow baby, look for the darker dots and shading.

The picture below is of HinkJc mottled lavs from much earlier generations .... They are the light yellow ones in the picture........

some of our flocks over the years and how they grew out!

Just to keep you in touch of the color mottled, it does exist and is not out of all the lines. although presently none of the adult in the pens have any mottled indicators.
Here's is one of our solid babies

The pen above is a picture of one from 2010 if I have my years right. must go check computer to know.... correct. Please don't quote me on that.... I will have to open the backup of an extinct computer to be assured of the date.

Thought this might be an interesting piece of history that those of you who weren't in the 2008/2009/2010 or so days of Lav Orps might not have know. Have a blessed day.

Last edited:
How much u charge?

I would highly recommend Garry Farms. My lavenders from them are all gorgeous healthy birds. I one mottled hatched is growing our lavender. I had an amazingly high hatch rate with garry farms compared to an ebay buy. They are also the best price for quality birds. Very honest and trustworthy. Quite honestly I wouldn't use anyone else if i did a future hatch.

I would highly recommend Garry Farms. My lavenders from them are all gorgeous healthy birds. I one mottled hatched is growing our lavender. I had an amazingly high hatch rate with garry farms compared to an ebay buy. They are also the best price for quality birds. Very honest and trustworthy. Quite honestly I wouldn't use anyone else if i did a future hatch.

Awesome thank u i just sent them an email

Question- Are lavander orpingtons considered an official color in the American standard of perfection? They're a beautiful color but I raise chickens for FFA fair projects and need to be able to show them. Thanks

Mintatheena no, the Lavander color isn't considered an official color in the American standard of Perfection.

Dang that really sucks, they're simply gorgeous. I guess I'm gonna have to settle for a different variety/breed. They really should be admitted though, but last I heard it takes forever

Our little $#1t maybe well name him pecker, was going to get rid of the other roos so he's the only one around, but being such a butthead in the last week, might scrap that project altogether

Back
Top Bottom