Lavender Orpington Thread

Any ideas why his feathers look like that? I was told when he was little it was because of stress. We had ducks that picked on him. Any help would be appreciated :D

Lav orps feathers have a tendency to fray like that after several generations of straight lav breeding. Many breeders recommend adding black/splits for feather condition, then back to lav.
Or it may look much better after a good molt.

Oh, and males can be slow to crow, especially if there aren't any other ones around.

Here's our lav orp cock that we're growing out.
cock1.jpg
cock2.jpg

I've been working with DD on photography. We didn't really like the lav's photoshoot. Our favs were Jewel (blue orp pullet) & Brick (double barred choc cuckoo orp roo).
Jewel- edit by kim.jpg jewel hoiz.jpg rooster 2 by kim - Copy.jpg

Here's the trick to making it look professional:
Use a black blanket LOL

This is my first Lavender & I love it. Very pretty. I'm not sure if it is a hen or roo. Can anyone tell me. It hatched in March or April and I was told it was a roo but it doesn't act like one. Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 12
This is my first Lavender & I love it. Very pretty. I'm not sure if it is a hen or roo. Can anyone tell me. It hatched in March or April and I was told it was a roo but it doesn't act like one. Thank you
I would guess roo too based on the red comb & body shape.

Orp roos can be very sweet. Often they don't show any hormones until 5-8 months. Even then, it's most crowing, wing flapping & mating of hens. My lavs are very mellow & have never been people aggressive. Even their crows are lower-pitched & mellow. Kind of sounds like an owl - not like a screechy bantam roo.

I would guess roo too based on the red comb & body shape.

Orp roos can be very sweet. Often they don't show any hormones until 5-8 months. Even then, it's most crowing, wing flapping & mating of hens. My lavs are very mellow & have never been people aggressive. Even their crows are lower-pitched & mellow. Kind of sounds like an owl - not like a screechy bantam roo.
Thank you for your help. I hope he turns out friendly. I have children and don't wont them getting hurt. He'll be our only Roo.

Lav orps feathers have a tendency to fray like that after several generations of straight lav breeding. Many breeders recommend adding black/splits for feather condition, then back to lav.
Or it may look much better after a good molt.

Oh, and males can be slow to crow, especially if there aren't any other ones around.

Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom