Lavender Orpington Thread

11188240_911033712294669_839109895830858516_n.jpg

This guy was hatched from our lavender pairs very first ever laid egg.
Can lav + lav = splash??
Or will he maybe finish feathering out and be lavender

Hmmmmm... I didn't think so but ??
I hatched 10 and got one black one. Was told that black needs to be bred back into the line every so often to keep the lavender color, but that one sure isn't black either. Any way your lavender mated with something else? Or maybe it will still turn lavender. If it was her first egg, maybe that has something to do with it.

I hatched 10 and got one black one. Was told that black needs to be bred back into the line every so often to keep the lavender color, but that one sure isn't black either. Any way your lavender mated with something else? Or maybe it will still turn lavender. If it was her first egg, maybe that has something to do with it.
It is most likely there a blue genetics going on there. You can use Blues (good ones) to improve Lav type. It could cause a splash to suddenly pop out. I would not use her in any breeding program but she will be pretty.

What age do orpingtons typically start growing red combs and waddles if they're cockerels? My 3 lavenders are 3 weeks old. One is a little bigger than the others, and s/he is growing the start of a comb but it's gray! The other two chicks have little tiny yellow combs. I'm really really hoping for pullets here. I got them unsexed, picked at random from their newborn brooder when they were hatchlings.

The one with the gray comb

The other two

I got these chicks a couple of days ago, 2 Lavenders and one buff since I didn't have one. the buff is one week older and taught the lavenders to eat.

I do only have the 1 male and 1female lavenders in their pen. Separated from all other chickens at this time. As soon as she started to redden in the comb.
The chick in the pic is male, they are English orps. Hope we get a couple lavender

I just got 2 lavender orpingtons and I have a question about their tails. Their tails stick straight up ... is that normal. They are long, but almost fanned out. I will attach a picture from my phone is another post.

My BO are very feathery, but their tails go straight out ward to the back.

Is there a distinction in variety, maybe english vs. american, that I am not aware of?

Here are some pics of one of the lab orps and one of my buff orps... I am assuming the lavs are about 5 weeks old. The Bo are 7 weeks

Yes
I just got 2 lavender orpingtons and I have a question about their tails. Their tails stick straight up ... is that normal. They are long, but almost fanned out. I will attach a picture from my phone is another post.

My BO are very feathery, but their tails go straight out ward to the back.

Is there a distinction in variety, maybe english vs. american, that I am not aware of?
there is a distinction between Apa vs English. Can you post pics?

Back
Top Bottom