Lavender Orpington Thread

I think we posted at the same time... The pictures should be just above

Give them a while, yet, but yeah APA standard has the tail more steeply upright where on English Orps, the tail is a 45 % angle from the back. Actually the tails shouldn't be in a straight line out from the back nor should they hang downward. However, unless your breeding to sell or show, it isn't much of an issue.

I am not going to show them, but wanted to make sure that the tail was due to something normal! lol. I figured that the BO and the LO were just different varieties. The BOs look much more english and the LO look more APA, from my google search.

Are english varieties also bigger than APA varieties? My 7 week old BO are giant compared to the LO which the breeder said were 8 weeks. She said that she wasnt 100% sure. I am guessing that they are more around 5 weeks or they are just smaller
hmm.png

Thanks for your response. I find the distinctions interesting. I cant wait until they are full grown!

The buffs look good and you probably may be able to show them. The lavender has a squirrel tail and will not be even near the APA standards. But it seems everyone shows adolescent or chicks pictures and they really can;t be assessed to their real quality till they are near full grown. All chicks(even mutts) are pretty but not all grown birds have appealing qualities.

Last edited:
The buffs look good and you probably may be able to show them. The lavender has a squirrel tail and will not be even near the APA standards. But it seems everyone shows adolescent or chicks pictures and they really can;t be assessed to their real quality till they are near full grown. All chicks(even mutts) are pretty but not all grown birds have appealing qualities.

I don't plan on showing them, but I do feel that my BO are very beautiful. I have two sons and I was wondering if they might be able to show them at the county fair this summer? Does anyone know the process for this? I live in the city and we don't have a 4H anywhere near by. I wanted chickens for eggs and so my kids can have the experience of raising livestock. I probably belong on a farm! lol. I have 3 dogs also.

Are LO even considered breed standard? I thought it was an unrecognized color ...

Last edited:
I've never seen this thread til now. I love lavender in any breed and added some lavender orpingtons to my small collection once upon a time ago. I would love to get my hands on a mottled lavender. :love Here in California spring is in full bloom. With all the green grass I let the peeps out for a sunshine. The same rooster in the above pic getting weighed and his leg band changed. He weighed 13lbs
Your lav orpingtons are gor-ge-ous!

I am not going to show them, but wanted to make sure that the tail was due to something normal! lol. I figured that the BO and the LO were just different varieties. The BOs look much more english and the LO look more APA, from my google search.

Are english varieties also bigger than APA varieties? My 7 week old BO are giant compared to the LO which the breeder said were 8 weeks. She said that she wasnt 100% sure. I am guessing that they are more around 5 weeks or they are just smaller :/

Thanks for your response. I find the distinctions interesting. I cant wait until they are full grown!

People who should know actually say there is no major size difference but the APA standard is a much more upright bird with tighter feathers etc. It may be all that fluff with the loose feathers just makes them seem bigger. I always thought the English were gorgeous.

I don't plan on showing them, but I do feel that my BO are very beautiful. I have two sons and I was wondering if they might be able to show them at the county fair this summer? Does anyone know the process for this? I live in the city and we don't have a 4H anywhere near by. I wanted chickens for eggs and so my kids can have the experience of raising livestock. I probably belong on a farm! lol. I have 3 dogs also.

Are LO even considered breed standard? I thought it was an unrecognized color ...

All poultry gatherings, have been banned in our state through the remainder of 2015 due to the devastating losses we have had due to AI. The county and state fairs are going to seem bleak. They won't allow swap meets, or anything.

Back
Top Bottom