Lavender Orpington Thread

Just got lucky and captured this beautiful moment:

I have recently gotten a hen as a present along with her 2 sisters I have had the rooster for a while and want to breed them with each other I don't know wether she is lavender though she look it and what colours would I get from a lavender hen and a blue rooster

This thread may be useful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/186133/lavender-orpington-genetics-question

From what I have read on the internet, blue coloration usually has a black carrying gene. In the thread referenced above, when a LO is bred to a Black Orp, all the chicks will be black and half will be Lavender gene carriers. I guess that it is a possibility (from what I read) that 25% will be black carriers, 25% blue carriers, 25%black non carriers, and 25% blue non carriers. I am not an expert and not a breeder, this is all from reading ... so take it with a grain of salt.

The hen looks like a LO ... almost a little cuckoo from the first picture.

this is a product of a light blue isbar/Lavender Orpington.

this is instructions for blue, it may help

I currently have an egg I am going to hatch which is LO and blue frizzle

This thread may be useful:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/186133/lavender-orpington-genetics-question

From what I have read on the internet, blue coloration usually has a black carrying gene. In the thread referenced above, when a LO is bred to a Black Orp, all the chicks will be black and half will be Lavender gene carriers. I guess that it is a possibility (from what I read) that 25% will be black carriers, 25% blue carriers, 25%black non carriers, and 25% blue non carriers. I am not an expert and not a breeder, this is all from reading ... so take it with a grain of salt.

The hen looks like a LO ... almost a little cuckoo from the first picture.

Thank you she has got nice lacing on her and very skittish like the other three orps I have don't know why

Hi, I just posted this is the gender thread but thought I'd look here too. I'm new to Orpingtons, they are absolutely beautfil!
Here are my two, one Lavendar and one jubilee. They are both 20 ish wks old. Jubilee is about 1 wk older than Wingsparrow (the Lavendar). I'm worried she is a he.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi, I just posted this is the gender thread but thought I'd look here too. I'm new to Orpingtons, they are absolutely beautfil!
Here are my two, one Lavendar and one jubilee. They are both 20 ish wks old. Jubilee is about 1 wk older than Wingsparrow (the Lavendar). I'm worried she is a he.

What do you think?

They both look like pullets to me

Thank you she has got nice lacing on her and very skittish like the other three orps I have don't know why

Mine are very skittish and others have reported the same thing. Don't know if that is an unfortunate trait of the breeding lines that many of them come from.

Back
Top Bottom