Lavender Orpington Thread

I just went back and looked through this thread to find other chick pictures...
sad.png
and I think I may have answered my own question? To have any comb by 4 weeks they are probably both roos? Am I right??

I just went back and looked through this thread to find other chick pictures...
sad.png
and I think I may have answered my own question? To have any comb by 4 weeks they are probably both roos? Am I right??

I'm sorry, but that's what I am thinking. Both roos. That's kinda young for that much comb.
sad.png

One other "non-technical" thing that I look at is head shape. The elongated heads seem to be male. More rounded heads seem to be female.

I would love to know if anyone else has noticed head shape being a factor. Agree or disagree with me, I'm curious.

I'm sorry, but that's what I am thinking.  Both roos.  That's kinda young for that much comb.  :(

One other "non-technical" thing that I look at is head shape.  The elongated heads seem to be male.  More rounded heads seem to be female. 

second that. It's hard to explain but at 4 weeks the roo tend to start showing signs of roo in their personality too.

I would love to know if anyone else has noticed head shape being a factor.  Agree or disagree with me, I'm curious.

Our girl setting for the first time, can't wait to see how many babies comes off. She's hatching others as well as her own.
I find it very helpful to mark the hatching eggs with a sharpie. That way any new egg deposits can be removed, and the confusion of a staggered hatch can be avoided.

Good hatching vibes!

BTW- Are LF Orpingtons supposed to be a broody breed? I've had them for 3 years & not a single one tried to sit on eggs. Only my bantam orp, Cookie, goes broody. (Of course Cookie's perpetually broody, so she makes up for the entire flock!) The Sebright also gave it a go & is doing well with her chicks. She's not as controlling over the chicks as Cookie & even adopted a new chick 4 days after the hatch. We're definitely not used to an easy-going mother hen. Little Cookie becomes "Cookie Monster" when broody.

The Sebright's LF Orpington chicks turn 4 weeks old tomorrow. It's rather funny to see her try to cover them when they sleep at night. They're all about the same size!

I thought Orpingtons had a reputation for broodiness, but mine are all still too young so I can't speak from experience.

BTW- Are LF Orpingtons supposed to be a broody breed? I've had them for 3 years & not a single one tried to sit on eggs. Only my bantam orp, Cookie, goes broody. (Of course Cookie's perpetually broody, so she makes up for the entire flock!) The Sebright also gave it a go & is doing well with her chicks. She's not as controlling over the chicks as Cookie & even adopted a new chick 4 days after the hatch. We're definitely not used to an easy-going mother hen. Little Cookie becomes "Cookie Monster" when broody.

The Sebright's LF Orpington chicks turn 4 weeks old tomorrow. It's rather funny to see her try to cover them when they sleep at night. They're all about the same size!

Cookie Monster - that's so cute! I've just put 6 newly hatched LF Orpington chicks under my broody Old English Game Bantam tonight and she took to them like a duck to water. She was immediately clucking and purring to them and organising them so everyone was comfortable and safe. I've only raised bantams before so I was wondering how she was going to get on as they grow, so it was great to hear that your Sebright is doing a great job with her big babies (you soothed a few worries for me). I suspect this is going to become a regular thing as my Pixie hatched eggs mid March, looked after the babies for 5 weeks, was laying again by 6 weeks, then she laid for a month before going broody again. She wasn't giving up and she was being such a pain in the main coop that I had to move her out. It's nice to indulge her and who doesn't love cute little chicks running around.

Back
Top Bottom