Lavender Orpington Thread

Haha! Great description. And, I'm amused to know that he isn't going to outgrow it! LOL! My daughter and I are most entertained by his awkward, clumsy run.
We have a Bielefelder hen that when excited pops up into the air as she runs. It looks like she's happily skipping along. She can run normally but if there are treats involved, she usually comes skipping.

We have a Bielefelder hen that when excited pops up into the air as she runs. It looks like she's happily skipping along. She can run normally but if there are treats involved, she usually comes skipping.

Funny! We love watching our chickens, they are all so unique. I have one that flies like a duck skimming the water when we bring out the treats... just above the ground flies and pops back up to get the treats faster than the others.

Interesting. I thought my pale chick was simply a rare mistake. Since I got her as an egg, I really don't know the exact genetics involved. I found it strange that her chick fluff looked mauve.

1 week old Here's when her white feathers started.

I have one that looked similar, I thought it was splash, but may be mauve

feathers are coming in more chocolate now

Mauve is a combination of chocolate and lavender, so she has a lavender ancestor back there in her family tree somewhere!

I read that Mauve was chocolate + one dose of andalusian blue. Is that the same thing?

I read that Mauve was chocolate + one dose of andalusian blue. Is that the same thing?
The chick in you pics is what I expected mine to look like. I also heard that mauve was a combo of choc & blue, but I don't keep/breed either color.

The chick in you pics is what I expected mine to look like. I also heard that mauve was a combo of choc & blue, but I don't keep/breed either color.

I never meant to have chocolates either, until a local gal saw my CL posting for lavender hatching eggs. She had bought 1 lavender, 1 black, and 2 chocolates, and they had been broody a lot. She did not have a cock, so the eggs weren't fertile, and she didn't want them being broody all the time, so she asked if I wanted them.... no charge.... and they are beautiful! So I couldn't resist, and I took them in.

I didn't realize beforehand that the 2 chocolates were much smaller birds, so I couldn't put them with my lavender and black flock. So then I had to find a male to mate them, right? Chicken math at its finest. Couldn't find a male, so I ordered hatching eggs from minihorse, here through BYC! Hatched 11 of 12 shipped eggs, lost one chick a week or so ago (no idea what got it or where it went). And of course I ended up with a bunch of males of course. I think I have 4 females and 6 males. Blue barred males, black, splash, mauve, and chocolates. They are adorable though. I will continue breeding them with my original 2 chocolate girls. I'm still trying to decide which males to keep though.

a

Lavender is referred to as 'self' blue' so maybe? I honestly don't know.

Hey folks, I've had Lavender Orpingtons for about two years or so. They are supposed to be from the Hinks JC bloodline. I wanted to add a few new hens of the same line but less related so I bought a few pullet chicks this past summer. One has feathered out a bit lighter but with a few dark feathers. She looks more like a splash than a Lavender. Is it normal for Lavenders to crop up like this from time to time? Will she still produce lavender chicks when crossed with my Lavender rooster? Did the breeder accidentally give me a splash Blue Orpington?

My other birds:

Hey folks, I've had Lavender Orpingtons for about two years or so. They are supposed to be from the Hinks JC bloodline. I wanted to add a few new hens of the same line but less related so I bought a few pullet chicks this past summer. One has feathered out a bit lighter but with a few dark feathers. She looks more like a splash than a Lavender. Is it normal for Lavenders to crop up like this from time to time? Will she still produce lavender chicks when crossed with my Lavender rooster? Did the breeder accidentally give me a splash Blue Orpington?

My other birds:
I've never heard of a lavender splash. I'm pretty sure the blue genetics are different from the lavenders. I like the look of your new pullet, though. She looks like a blue splash to me. Perhaps your breeder had some blue orps at some point. Either way, she's pretty & I like her round shape.

My lav orp hens look like the one in your 2nd pic.

I've never heard of a lavender splash.  I'm pretty sure the blue genetics are different from the lavenders.  I like the look of your new pullet, though.  She looks like a blue splash to me.  Perhaps your breeder had some blue orps at some point.  Either way, she's pretty & I like her round shape.

My lav orp hens look like the one in your 2nd pic.  

Lavender does work differently. It actually works in a similar fashion as breeding splash to splash...so you shouldn't have a "splash Lavender" but I was just wondering if having a bird with a few dark feathers ever happens. I sure hope she isn't a splash Blue Orpington. I do t breed those and I have zero use for her. I paid $55 for her and if she's a splash Blue Orpington I'll probably sell her for $20.

Back
Top Bottom