Lavender Orpington Thread

If I remember correctly mine start showing around 12 weeks. very clear difference by 16 weeks as pictured. Pretty sure we get some "crowing" by 12 weeks as well, at least strange, disturbing screaming... that eventually sounds like crowing
lol.png

These are 16 weeks with clear saddle feathers and you can see the difference in comb and waddles, our pullets have smaller combs than some strains of Lavender Orpington though.
Nice pic.

Mine all started crowing long after I knew they were male. The male blk orp from my post #1856 was my youngest at about 12 weeks. He was an early bloomer in EVERYTHING. We had no adult rooster for a couple months, so that male started mating the mature hens shortly after crowing. Before he was 16 weeks old, we had fertile eggs. (I know because I saw the bulls-eyes, and did a test hatch at that time.)

Most of my other roos waited until 5 months before they started crowing & mating. Of course my orps take at least a year to get to size & the hens usually don't lay until they're 8 months old. That's one of the drawback of having 9-14 lb orps.

Here's a pic of our "Moose" when he was young. He got his name due to his long leggy look

He's not 1 yr old yet (and still has much weight to gain), but at least he lost his flamingo look.

The black looks very female & the lav looks more male. The lav's comb doesn't have a lot of color, but it looks too tall for a female. I added some pics below for you to compare.

Here's a blue orp female at about 10 wks. (She had me stumped for a while because her wattles dropped & looked pink at 4 weeks, while everything else looked like a pullet.) Glad I waited until I was sure of gender.

IMG_0361.jpg IMG_0362.jpg

This next pic is of my 7wk old male lav orps. (next to their bantam orp mama)
IMG_0505.jpg

The black looks very female & the lav looks more male. The lav's comb doesn't have a lot of color, but it looks too tall for a female. I added some pics below for you to compare.

Here's a blue orp female at about 10 wks. (She had me stumped for a while because her wattles dropped & looked pink at 4 weeks, while everything else looked like a pullet.) Glad I waited until I was sure of gender.

View attachment 550677 View attachment 550678

This next pic is of my 7wk old male lav orps. (next to their bantam orp mama)
View attachment 550679
Yeah it's supposed to be a pullet, the legs are huge and it HATES being held. You pick it up and it puts its wings out and goes backwards. Also doesn't really have a tail. Maui is so pretty. Hope for pullet. We will see.

9 weeks old- Maui no crowing. Looks like a cockerel but I'm really hoping for a pullet

Attachments

• IMG_3335.JPG
    IMG_3335.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3343.JPG
    IMG_3343.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3369.JPG
    IMG_3369.JPG
    426.1 KB · Views: 16
AVAILABLE!!! TRIO LAVENDER LACE ORPINGTONS ( Keiths Orps) pictures follow shortly. Eggs from birds have
proven active. Offers for these 3 stunning birds. 1 rooster 2 hens about 12 months old.

My cockerel's attempt at a Downward Dog made me laugh.
IMG_1302.jpg

Looks like Darth Layer & Moose are making out.
IMG_1305.jpg

Two brothers resting in the shade. (I call them my "Mini Moose," since my big lav orp - named Moose - is daddy.)
IMG_1323.jpg

I think he liked the shiny camera & wanted a closer look.
IMG_1330.jpg

Back
Top Bottom