Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Yeah I have read somewhere on BYC about putting an aspirin in their water... but rather than take a risk on something I THINK I remember from an internet forum I will just wait til tomorrow. The biggest worry for me is infection (obviously). I just keep wondering if there is something more I should be doing to fight off any crud getting in there - but if a half tube of triple antibiotic on top of quite a large volume of Povadine doesn't do it I don't know what else to do.

Sure wish 8am would get here. I am beginning to get kind of anxious about it and really want to have him seen. Not to mention i have gotten quite attached to the old booger during the last 24 hours or so

Kubota was standing and crowing this morning. He does not approve of being fed layer pellets so he pitifully resorted to "scratching " with his beak... I have eggs boiling. I took off his bandage expecting the worst (the one I put on yesterday morning - it rained 2.5" in an hour yesterday afternoon and I sit on the edge of the horse trailer to treat him in order to keep him away from my girls so it didn't get changed). The bandage was stuck a little, but just rinsing it with lukewarm water made it come off easily. I rinsed off his leg good and doused it in povadine and then put him back on a clean towel. I am going to clean him up good and rewrap it once the eggs are done.

I called my vet and he agreed to get me some penicillin injections for me to give. I love my vet! They don't even see chickens, but I gave him a weight estimate and this afternoon (he is in surgery all day) he will hook me up.

My dogs walked by and Kubota went totally velociraptor on them clicking and growling. He stands up to turn around now, where he was just laying whatever direction I faced him in the kennel.

Gonna go clean and feed and make a trip to the grocery store. I'll come back later on.

ETA My vet offered either Tylan. Tylacin... something like that to put in water, but I figure the penicillin will be stronger?

ETA again: Came to my folks to use the computer and updated my dad... he said "Now you know Mr B didn't give you that rooster? You do all this you have to give him back"
sad.png
I am hoping if I ask Mr B for him he will let me have him. If not, I will ask him to leave him in the chicken pen instead of letting him free range.

Last edited:
so sweet.. I could not imagine that man not giving you the rooster after all of this. My best friend was a rooster for many many years.

Here's me with Baby. Im around 14 and still in love with him.
baby.jpg

Last edited:
I will actually be ok if the guy wants to keep him. He is old school, but he does care about his birds. IF Kubota lives for that to be an option, I will just ask Mr B to keep him in his chicken yard (awesome) and away from the other roosters / turkeys etc. I technically 'could' keep him if Mr B would let me, but I didn't want the rooster I have lol
I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

So I cleaned Kubota the best I have worked on him since I got him... daylight, no rain and I have my system down (read that: I respect him, but I am afraid of him anymore).

I took the hose and rinsed his rear really good. Most of his poop goes on the towel or the kennel tray, but some has been sticking to his feathers. I cleaned that up really good and he was great for it. I cradled him on his back in my right arm like a baby. He did NOT like it to begin with but settled in. Him on his back made cleaning the leg and putting Povadine, ointment, gauze pads and bandages SO much easier!! Towards the end he started getting tired of me messing with him / being on his back (personally, I think it was because a couple of my girls were at teh gate watching and he was embarassed
wink.png
).

I am a little concerned for him. He is bright eyed, alert, stands up to turn around, eats, drinks (I have only seen him once, but I always give him fresh water and there is always egg crumbs or such in it afterwards). He crowed again this morning. His leg doesn't stink or have obvious pus etc.

BUT.... the very back of his comb and some tips are darker.... hopefully once I get the penicillin injections they will kick in pretty fast. Looking at them I really didn't get close enough on the photos, hopefully you can see the darker part of the comb.

Kubota... day 3 (his backside is ragged and wet from me washing him, but it is crazy hot here so I am not worried about leaving him wet. Right?)

51084_kubotaday3.jpg

51084_kubday3.jpg

51084_kub3.jpg

sorry to hijack your thread... didn't think anyone would care.

Best of luck to you both. He sure is fortunate to have you in his life. Kisses to Kudos
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Anyway.... Kubota is still going pretty good. I can't seem to fill him up though! He has eaten 3 boiled store bought eggs, a small can of liver cat food, about 2 table spoons each of cottage cheese and yogurt, some watermelon and a cricket that made the mistake of hopping through the kennel!!! He still seems insulted when I offer him layer pellets, so I guess Wednesday I will try to get some starter crumbles.
My vet never called back
sad.png
very disappointing. I am sure they were really busy and jsut forgot. It turned out ok though , because I had to go to another county to get meds for my horse and my equine vet sent me to a little country pharmacy. They have tons of vet medicine - including injectable penicillin (and injectable chicken vitamins, etc... cool place).
So Kubota had his first dose of penicillin today.

I have to really clean him up again... his chest feathers are getting nasty from him dunking them in the yogurt etc ... so tomorrow is bath day again.

ETA: Mr B just called to check on Kubota. He said he couldn't believe somebody would not turn their nose up at taking care of a chicken. He offered to help buy feed and give me some eggs from his laying hens to boil.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom