Lawnmower vs Rooster GRAPHIC PICS/ Saying Goodbye

Quote:
Glad to hear Mr. B called and offered to help out and that you found a great little chicken pharmacy!

update! update!!!

pop.gif

I am simply going crazy over this thread! I even told my ladies about Kubota today! (Yes, I know, I'm crazy. But they like to chatter back at me when I'm doing chores.) It's such a heartwarming story so far, I hope it turns out as well as it has been going!
hugs.gif
Kudos to you for being so kind!

Kudos for all ur great care and ur kindness.. In re: to ur question about aspirin and possibly a cheaper astringent, this is from Mississippi State University MSUCares.com POultry Solutions. Hope he continues to thrive. I'm sending healing prayers for Kubuto and for u. Blessings.
love.gif

ASPIRIN SOLUTION

Used as a general treatment for reducing distress conditions of birds (fever or listlessness) that accompanies many diseases.

Dissolve five (5 grain) aspirin tablets in one gallon of water.

Offer this solution free-choice to the birds for the duration of an illness. The solution aspirin equivalent to 25 grains/gallon or 324 mg/gallon of drinking water. The dosage rate is about 25 mg/lb body weight per day.

ASTRINGENT SOLUTION

This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
(4 teaspoons/gallon)

The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

Wow! What a story. I cannot offer any advice at all, as I am new to chickens, but I read this forum in order to be prepared when something does happen. Thank you for sharing your ordeal, and all the advice you have received. I LOVE BYC!

This is a great bonding experience for you and Kubota's owner. Hope it ends well for all involved.

I did have something similiar happen to the leg of a BO pullet of mine years ago. I was keeping them in a big wire rabbit cage on the ground at night with a tarp over one end, with perches for them. This was my first time having chickens, so I didn't think of a predator reaching through the wire. My pullet was on a perch, apparently up against the cage wire, sleeping. Something---raccoon, possum, whatever----reached through and pulled her leg almost completely off---it was just hanging by a thread of tissue. I took the hen up on the deck, and cut the leg off the rest of the way with a pair of shears I had poured alcohol and then peroxide over. I put a big gauze bandage with triple-antibiotic ointment over the wound, and then wrapped strips of clean sheet around the body of the hen. I kept her in the bootom half of a very large fibre-glass vari-kennel with food and water and was giving her 1/8 tsp. of children's antibiotic twice a day----she actually drank it right out of the spoon! It was some of that pink stuff doctor's prescribe small children for ear infections and such. Anyway, the chicken made a complete recovery, and joined the flock and lived a quite happy, long life just hopping around on one leg. The other chickens fully accepted her back without so much as one peck. Good luck with your boy!
smile.png

if he's still alive now then he'll probably make it, there alot tougher than they look. I'v found quail with holes through their necks that recover just fine, and if he's made it this far then it's just up to him to recover. You seem to be doing everything right, and he's still alive so thats a pretty good indication. Just make sure you keep giving him lots of protien as well as regular food, and a little gatorade in the water for electrolytes never hurt either.

thanks all

I am not sure what to think of Mr. Kubota this morning. He is still alert and watchful, bright eyes. He left some of his "dinner" from last night though - I don't know if he quit eating or if I finally filled him up some. He did eat after I put his new plate in the morning.
I am afraid we have the beginnings of infection
sad.png
. One part of his stump looks rotten. It doesn't smell but it looks
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif

He did protest a little more when I put him on his back. I used the hose to rinse his chest, abdomen and poopy butt (not nearly as bad as it was yesterday... but LOTS of poop on the kennel tray). I wrapped up his leg - will have to go get more ointment - gave him his penicillin shot (I read that you can split it in half and give 2x a day for severe infections, so I am trying that - any opinions?). When I put him in he got a long drink of fresh water and actually ate some pellets instead of the rest of the buffet I fixed for him . I am going out of town for the day so I have him a good plate fixed, and fixed another and put in my parents fridge for my dad to give him later. I have arranged a "patio awning" of sorts so I can leave the trailer door open for a breeze, but still give him shade and shelter from rain.

I don't know what else to do?? *sigh*

I will try to remember to take a photo next time I change his wrappings. Since I think there is infection trying to start, should I change his dressings 2x a day ? I don't know if I can do it everyday, but I can try.

Gotta get..... I'll update tonight.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom