Lead poisoning in hen

Brahmas in Blackburn

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2024
Hi, I am new to Backyard Chickens, and somehow new to chicken keeping too.
I have a 3 month old dark Brahma hen, and she is having greenish poop and red urates. I have diagnosed it as lead poisoning, and I am pretty sure it is from contaminated soil. I haven’t done anything yet, but I am curious how to treat it. All advice will be appreciated.🙂

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of the pullet and her poop?
What do you feed, including treats? Any food moldy or rancid, compost?

What symptoms does your pullet have besides questionable poop?

Links to information that helped you diagnose this as lead poisoning would be very helpful.

Getting testing through your vet or state laboratory will confirm whether or not lead poisoning is the cause of poop you see.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

She has not been showing any other signs, but apparently in our area the lead content in soil is high.
The red urates have not been showing up lately.

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpeg
    IMG_0597.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg
    816 KB · Views: 7
She has not been showing any other signs, but apparently in our area the lead content in soil is high.
The red urates have not been showing up lately.
From what I can see of the poop, it looks fine to me.

The color of poop can vary widely, depending on diet. Red "urates"? Do you mean intestinal shedding? This can be perfectly normal and since it's not showing up at all lately, I wouldn't be concerned.

The pullet looks alert and bright eyed. There are no other symptoms. While I do understand you may be concerned about what is in your soil, I would not treat a healthy active bird unnecessary.

Get some testing done on the soil where the birds live. If in the U.S. start with your local Agricultural Extension Office and they will point you in the right direction on how to get soil tested.

👇👇
I have diagnosed it as lead poisoning
I would still like to have links to the information/articles/research how lead poisoning was diagnosed.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom