Learning Again - Cuckoo Marans

keckels

Chirping
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Soo, why so many different chickens??? Not really, but someone semi local has 10 2-3 yr old hens & 5 roo's for sale. She says not hatchery stock & some direct Bev Davis lines. I really like the dark eggs of the Marans. She's asking $50 for a trio; says they are breeder quality. Anyone want to talk me out of making a 2 hr weekend road trip? Just learning about the cuckoo marans.

This is just me but I wouldn't pay $50 for a trio of 2-3 year olds. Since there is no way to accurately tell their age, they could be much older and you'd be none the wiser. At worst they may never lay for you and then it wouldn't matter what their lines, you wouldn't be producing any chicks. Add in the cost of gas and wear and tear on your car for a 4-hour round trip and you've close to doubled the $50 investment.

Am I doing a good job of talking you out of it? Am, I, huh? (you did say to talk you out of it.....)

Thanks. Seen your reply & seller's email about the same time. Someone else bought them at her price. That's ok, I agree on the age & distance.

Sorry but of those are images of the birds and their eggs, the seller is a liar.

Bev Davis Marans have feathered shanks and I'd imagine, being Bev Davis Marans, good type, unlike those birds. They'd also have much darker eggs.

But if the images are just general ones, I'd still be iffy. Birds over 2 years old are never a risk-free thing to go for, and I'd want pictures. ALWAYS ask for photos when it comes to Marans, especially of egg color.

I thought Bev did have clean legged Marans or used to raise them or a "throwback".

I agree with the egg, it is not DARK enough. I've seen alot of Bev's eggs and all of the progency's eggs, they are much darker than one that is pictured (the darker egg).

I'll try talking you OUT of it. Go to a reputable breeder, like the ones in here. If you can, look in the Marans thread and you can see several breeders in there, throwing ideas and all that good stuff that I'm still learning every day! It's worth a good read for an hour, depending how fast you can read.

I don't remember such but I could very well be wrong. Either way, I don't see why she would choose a squirrel tailed male to cover her hens. (one which also has a squirrel tail)

Very true Illia her birds have a much smoother top line and feathered shanks and eggs are a 7 or 8 always start with the best stock you can afford best to ask lots of questions and see lots of pictures and if they show go to the shows and look at what is there saves you time in the long run

Back
Top Bottom