Leg bands

chickenbike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
Bear with me, this may seem a silly question. How do you put on the coil-type leg rings on new chicks? If you open it too wide, it loses the smooth ring shape on the interior and then irritates the leg. I tried that and had to take it off. I have chicks which I definitely need to keep identified. I bought the multiple sizes of ring leg bands for when they grow, but after yesterday's experience I'm worried about getting them on right.

I'm interested in responses to your question. I haven't tried banding yet, but I have a few that I'm wanting to band to tell them from the others. I have no clue how to do it yet.

barnie.gif

I haven't banded any of my chickens yet, but with macaws, you put the ring over their three toes, and then push it up over their leg and forth toe until it passes the end of the toe, then it will drop back down around their leg. Does that make any sense?

I've used both the split ring type and colored zip ties. I put the split rings on just like you'd put a key on a key ring. The bird may protest a bit but I've never hurt a bird doing it. Once it's on they forget all about it.

Back
Top Bottom