Leg Bands

Yes, there are 3 main kinds. There are colored ones that are very simple to use, just clip them around the leg. Then there are the numbered leg bands that also come in different colors and numbers up to 99. Last, there are metal leg bands that people use and need a special tool to apply them. You can shop around online for the best prices.

Last edited:
And by tool they mean pliers. Lol. They make a special tool for it but its nothing more than a gimmick. I work with the DNR in wv every year banding wild geese with usfws migratory bird bands. They are metal and you can do the same with pliers as u can with the "special tool". But yes I use bands and prefer the metal ones.

Last edited:
Many like the metal bands because they don't come off as easily. You do need to be very vigilant to not let any band get too small when the chicken or rooster grows because they can become imbedded and cause great pain. There is another method of identification of birds without bands and that is toe punching. There is a tool to punch holes in the web of the toes in chicks--this I believe is done in many breeding programs and with showing chickens. No bands are needed, and apparently it is not terribly painful if done right after hatching.

Last edited:
Thats kind of like ear-notching pigs. it does not hurt them if you do it right. I think the colored and numbered ones are easier to read!

The colored ones are easier to read, unless u have them on for a long time or ur birds are in a place where they can get into mud. A muddy band is a muddy band, so metal or plastic is irrelevant. I think the reason I like them is two fold. First being longevity, and second being a me are issue of personal preference with the look it provides.

I know some people even use color zip ties if they aren't running any kind of a major operation. Just don't winch them down all the way and leave a little room for growth! You can usually buy multi colored packs by the 100's at Walmart for less than 5 bucks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom