Clappmeg

Chirping
Aug 6, 2019
IMG_20191027_211635.jpg
IMG_20191027_211624.jpg
Just got 3 chickens today that I did not know would have leg mites but unfortunately do :( I've dunked all 3 in a bath of baby oil for a couple minutes at a time and I have ivermectin drops on the way. When I get the ivermectin, how should I administer? Orally? On the back of the neck? And when should I re treat? How long till these things are gone? I've never dealt with this before and I'm concerned that my other chickens (I have 9 others) will get it. I'm keeping the ones with the mites in a separate covered dog kennel but they're located in the same garage - will they be ok? Do mites travel this far? I'm freaking out!

Last edited:
Can you please take a few clear photos of your new bird's legs?

Are you seeing bugs crawling on them?

No, I haven't actually seen anything crawling on them and like I said I JUST got them today so I was told it's leg mites - I'm actually not sure myself! These pics were after I dunked them in oil.
IMG_20191027_211635.jpg
IMG_20191027_211624.jpg

It does look like scaly leg mites, there is scale loss and the deposit the mites leave behind. I would soak them in epsom salts or warm water with mild dish soap (like dawn) and use a very soft toothbrush or cloth to gently remove what build up you can, don't force stuff off. You don't want to do any further damage to scales or skin. Sometimes it may take several soakings to get large deposits off, it can be hard like concrete. Then you apply vegetable oil (I like castor oil as it's very thick) to cover everything and cover that with vaseline to smother the mites. Some use nu-stock cream and say that works well also. The oil will also help soften any of the hard gunk. You will have to reapply the oil every 2 to 3 days until the feet and legs start to look normal again, that can take some time.
Here is some more info with some treatment suggestions:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom