Leghorn or California white? Or maybe something else?

I don't have any help with what your chick is because there are many breeds that are yellow when they are young, but it could be a Golden Sexlink. From what I read, if it is a Golden Sexlink, then the yellow ones like your chick are males and the reddish ones are females.

It's not tsc, it's typically the hatchery that the regional manager chooses.
I'm sorry your tsc has lackluster staff but few things in life can be given a blanket statement.
I don't know if there is a good Tractor Supply that generally cares about their chicks. It is the workers' fault for mislabeling chicks so often-if you work at a feed store, get to know your chicken breeds because that is important when you sell chicks. At every Tractor Supply I see, both in real life and online, there are going to be bins with mislabeled breeds and even mislabeled species. Yes, even species are mixed up, as I have seen ducklings put in the Brahma chicken bin. And if any chicks need help because of a deformity or injury, nobody will be there to help them.

I don't have any help with what your chick is because there are many breeds that are yellow when they are young, but it could be a Golden Sexlink. From what I read, if it is a Golden Sexlink, then the yellow ones like your chick are males and the reddish ones are females.

I don't know if there is a good Tractor Supply that generally cares about their chicks. It is the workers' fault for mislabeling chicks so often-if you work at a feed store, get to know your chicken breeds because that is important when you sell chicks. At every Tractor Supply I see, both in real life and online, there are going to be bins with mislabeled breeds and even mislabeled species. Yes, even species are mixed up, as I have seen ducklings put in the Brahma chicken bin. And if any chicks need help because of a deformity or injury, nobody will be there to help them.
Honestly, I'm just scared that she/he is a cornishx or something like that. Even though I was wanting to hold off on getting a rooster for now, I'd much rather the chick be a sexlink roo over a cornish.

I don't think I will ever get chicks at TSC again. I have 9 chicks (2 of which I am raising up for someone) 4 came from TSC the other 5 came from Bomgaars. After all of this as well as a few other things, if I ever buy chicks from a store, I would get them from Bomgaars over TSC.

Also, whenever I went to Bomgaars, there was a man that worked there that seemed to be extremely knowledgeable about all of the breeds of chicks they had, more so then the TSC employees.

But I feel partially to blame about my mystery chick and not knowing it's breed. There were warnings and I didn't listen. The California Whites were in a bin with Silver Laced Wyandottes, almost all of their chicks were with other breeds (the australorps were the only breed that was by itself). They said they had Barred Rocks (which is the breed I originally was wanting, and went for) but their Barred Rocks were with Gold Laced Wyandottes and they were sold out of Barred Rocks, the woman working tried to tell me the GLW were BR. I'm not a chicken expert, but I do know that BR don't have reddish orange coloration, or atleast I have never seen them have it.

It could still be a California White without the spots. It also could be something else. TSC is well known for mixing up chicks, as are hatcheries. This chick could easily have been a leftover from a previous batch of chicks that an employee put with in the CW bin simply because they looked similar. Happens all the time. Other common white breeds with single combs like yours are Leghorns, white rocks, and Cornish cross. Really only time will tell.

It could still be a California White without the spots. It also could be something else. TSC is well known for mixing up chicks, as are hatcheries. This chick could easily have been a leftover from a previous batch of chicks that an employee put with in the CW bin simply because they looked similar. Happens all the time. Other common white breeds with single combs like yours are Leghorns, white rocks, and Cornish cross. Really only time will tell.
Thank you. Do you know about how long or what age I will be able to tell if it is cornish cross?

I think its very likely her and the other supposed CW could be leftover from a previous batch. Aside from the Blue Plymouth Rocks, the CWs wings were feathered. All of the other chicks in the store looked very young, were smaller and their wings weren't feathered, but I'm not sure if it's because they were younger or possibly slower to feather breeds.

Thank you. Do you know about how long or what age I will be able to tell if it is cornish cross?

I think its very likely her and the other supposed CW could be leftover from a previous batch. Aside from the Blue Plymouth Rocks, the CWs wings were feathered. All of the other chicks in the store looked very young, were smaller and their wings weren't feathered, but I'm not sure if it's because they were younger or possibly slower to feather breeds.
It wouldn't take long to tell if it's a Cornish cross. They grow very quickly, especially the breasts. Give it a few weeks and post new pictures if you are still questioning this chick.

I don't blame you. Hopefully it's just a leftover white rock or Leghorn.
That's what I'm hoping, at this point I'd even be ok if it were a sexlink roo even though I wasn't planning to get a rooster right now. I'd be happy with anything but a cornish cross.

I've thought about calling the TSC I went to to see if they have records for that week and the week before, on what breeds they had to help try and figure out what breed she is but I'm not sure if that would do any good or if they would even be able to tell me anything.

There are good employees that generally care and there are also bad employees that couldn't care less in every store. Thats life. The closest tsc will not hire anyone that doesn't have livestock themselves to make sure their employees care and can help customers with their animals. This is what has been explained to me:
They cannot have multiple bins with a few birds in them, the bins must be condensed in the event of power loss. If the original labels are lost, you cannot make new ones to avoid liability. Only verbal. Any employee that can't tell the difference isn't supposed to be handling birds except for customers who refuse to wait a few minutes for the captains. (Imho, if someone can't identify the breeds the want as chicks, they shouldn't be buying chicks and they shouldn't complain if the birds aren't right)
Mixed bins must contain obviously different birds to avoid mix up. ( but you know as well as I do that many colors and breeds look like each other as days old.)
The only help they can offer is pasty butt care and coaxing weak chicks to drink (which is a daily task) boost water, deformed and sick chicks are taken to a hospital bin in the office to either rest and recover or die peacefully. Deformed birds require a licensed vet to fix to avoid liability. They are often left in the front bins so they get a chance that someone who knows what their doing to buy them instead of just dying. If you've ever worked retail, you know how busy it gets, now add the fact half of the customer base expects immediate attention and and needs help with things that weigh 100s of pounds, now throw in a few dozen babies to take care of. Amd customers who are condescending and abusive to the employees or know it alls. , i.e yesterday there was a bin of 'mixed straight run' ducks that were obviously blue Swedish and the employee working the chicks cage couldn't convince the lady who wanted to buy them that they weren't white pekins, lady was very condescending that shes had Pekin for years and knew more than the employee.

These are CX chicks purchased 7 days ago, probably two days old when I got them. They're unmistakable as CXs with their round butts, heavy bodies, chunky thighs and thick legs. It'd help if you had a pic of your chick standing on its own but I don't think you have CXs.
IMG_20240308_110924022.jpg
IMG_20240308_111127142_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240308_111146058_HDR.jpg

Back
Top Bottom