Lemon Balm, Thyme, and Oregano

jenn-

Chirping
Mar 5, 2015
Southern Alabama
Safe to feed the green stuff to them or only to be used as smelly stuff in the nesting boxes? My lemon balm has gone insane and I would love to offer the girls something green to eat in their dirt floor of a run.

I used to have lemon balm in my backyard. The chickens ate it all, and they're still alive and kickin, so it would appear to be safe. I have loads of oregano taking over my garden and have given it to my hens, but they have no interest. I presume it's safe, they've taken a few bites, but we have apparently much tastier weeds and the oregano gets left.

I don't see any reason thyme wouldn't be safe, I just don't have any to give my hens. It's pretty strongly flavored, so my guess would be that they wouldn't particularly like it, but I can't think of any reason not to give them some and let them decide.

I toss all the weeds I pull back to my hens. They like all of them, especially the annoying spikey ones (we have 3 or 4 different ones that I don't know what they are) and dandelions.

Back
Top Bottom