Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
How did you guys start your lemon blue projects? I have some that look similar to some of these, but I think the parent stock mine came from were buff/blue crosses. I have one hen and one cockerel that I would consider somewhat close to brown-red in coloring, but they don't have lacing on the chest like the brown-red bantams have, so I'm guessing there's no birchen in there.

As you noted, to work with true Lemon Blues, you will need to get the birchen e gene involved. This is easiest via brown red. Basically you need the following genes; birchen, blue, and gold. Along the way you may get other varieties hatched such as silver blues, silver Birchens, splash blues, etc. the splashes can be used as breeders but generally the silver based varieties aren't of much help as silver is dominant..

As you mentioned the breast lacing is critical and it does vary in even birchen based so be on the lookout for good lacing.

Dave

As you noted, to work with true Lemon Blues, you will need to get the birchen e gene involved. This is easiest via brown red. Basically you need the following genes; birchen, blue, and gold. Along the way you may get other varieties hatched such as silver blues, silver Birchens, splash blues, etc. the splashes can be used as breeders but generally the silver based varieties aren't of much help as silver is dominant..

As you mentioned the breast lacing is critical and it does vary in even birchen based so be on the lookout for good lacing.

Dave

Are there any actual birchen varieties in large fowl cochins? I've never actually seen any, so I'm wondering how to go about getting the genes needed for true lemon blues. I was looking at the cockerel I mentioned this morning, and he actually looks like he may have a tiny bit of chest lacing right below his neck (I guess I never noticed this lacing before because it's not very much, and it's partially covered by his hackle feathers), but since I don't know all the varieties that are in their background, I'm not sure what genes are at work there. Maybe there actually is some birchen in there somewhere in their past. Is there any way to know other than doing a test breeding to see if the lacing carries over to his offspring?

Birchen is on the E-locus (E(R)) and is dominant, so all the chicks should have the proper pattern, if the hens are solid color and not harboring other pattern genes.

Breeding blue to splash will give 50% blue and 50% splash offspring - with the splash likely being very light in color.

Back
Top Bottom