Lemon Blue Cochins~~***BRAND NEW PICTURES***~~~

Pics
I was just wandering around this site and was curious at what you folks thought of these chicks. Most are not show quality, but came from a "splash" rooster and a "blue" hen (standard cochins chicks 3 weeks old).

9241_dsc01318.jpg

9241_dsc01322.jpg

Hi all -

I hope y'all don't mind me posting this here, but I have a lemon blue related query, sort of.

I have the following two roosters, which I know are NOT *true* lemon blue in any shape or form, but if I bred either one of them to the hen pictured below, would I get anything that RESEMBLES lemon blue? I'm thinking it would be a mish mash of colors and patterns, but these birds just don't fit into any of my other projects right now, and I don't know how else to use them.

Rooster #1 - I have no clue about his background:

20890_cochinlbroo.jpg

Rooster #2 - his father was a black frizzle and his mother was a "sort of" silver pencilled:

20890_cochinfrizzleroo.jpg

Hen - I have no idea of her background either, but I'm told she is similar to brown red?

20890_cochinthelma.jpg

Needless to say, I know these are "off colored" birds, and I realize their offspring probably wouldn't amount to much more than their parents - this would be done just for fun, but I'm wondering what I might expect... I'm just not good with genetics when it comes to patterns!

Thanks so much!

Kat,
It would be interesting to see the outcome of the matings. I cannot guess the genetic background in birds enough to even give you an idea of what the outcome might be, wish I could though. Maybe, someone here can tell you more. I like the 1st roo, he's handsome boy.

Quote:
Thanks Steve - he was looking like a splash when he was a chick, but then all these goldish feathers started popping out everywhere! I was quite surprised - and because I have a thing for the odd and unusual, I kept him - glad I did now!!!

I posted a pic of that guy about this time last year and asked about his genotype, and blackdotte (David) replied that "He is a Blue Silver/gold split based on either Duckwing,Wheaten or Brown." I'm still not sure what that means, but maybe it will help someone here to help me figure this out!

So here's a picture of a lemon blue frizzle bantam cochin roo that I used to have (remember Fred???
lol.png
)

7083_fred.jpg

I used to have brown reds & lemon blues, but I sold them all - the lemon blues were very popular but did not breed true. It was hard to explain to folks who wanted "lemon blue" hatching eggs
smile.png

Last edited:
He is a handsome fellow !

Last year I had my Lemon Blue setup to only produce "Lemon Blues". I had a Splash lemon blue roo over Brown Red hens...and of course you can reverse the male with Brown Red X Splash lemon blue hens to only produce Lemon Blues. Funny, I had more request for the Lemon Blue Splash than actual Lemon Blue, so this year I have the Splash in with my Lemon Blue girls.

I am glad I stopped by. - You have alot of beautiful birds. I just love cochins. I 3 have Partridges, one buff, 5 Mottles, 5 Milles and 5 Lavenders. I'd better not look at too many more lemon blues.

Back
Top Bottom