Lethargic Hen/Pullet

I soaked her in the kitchen sink for about 20 minutes, then put her in the garage with a heater. I found some yellow/white droppings, so i think the egg must have cracked inside of her. Is this good or bad and what do I do now? I can post pictures soon.
Can you feel inside the vent about 1-2" for an egg?
If you have photos of that poop it would be good too.

It may be egg in the droppings you are seeing or the yellow could be urates.
Do what you can to get her hydrated. I would also try to get some Calcium into her. Does your family have anything like Tums or Caltrate? You can use those.

Can you feel inside the vent about 1-2" for an egg?
If you have photos of that poop it would be good too.

It may be egg in the droppings you are seeing or the yellow could be urates.
Do what you can to get her hydrated. I would also try to get some Calcium into her. Does your family have anything like Tums or Caltrate? You can use those.
I didn't try and feel for the egg, it seems kind of obvious that it's in there. Maybe not though...
It doesn't look like urates, the mess she left was really just yellow and white, no brown, so I'm thinking it was all egg. She is drinking some water. No calcium. Oyster shell?

I didn't try and feel for the egg, it seems kind of obvious that it's in there. Maybe not though...
It doesn't look like urates, the mess she left was really just yellow and white, no brown, so I'm thinking it was all egg. She is drinking some water. No calcium. Oyster shell?
You need to try to feel for an egg - see if it's intact or broken. If it's a hard shell and broken, it needs to come out.

Do you have someone at home that can help you with her?

How would I get it out?
yes.

First you want to feel inside to see if there really is an egg stuck in there.
If there is and she's still able to poop, then you have a little time. Since she looks in bad shape, you may want to place her in a steamed up bathroom instead of soaking her - that's up to you, you'll have to gauge if she's able to withstand soaking, sometimes they can't
Get her hydrated and try to get some calcium into her - crush up and eggshell into powder and add it to 1tsp of yogurt if you don't have tums.

If the is an egg in there lightly oil just inside the vent, hopefully she is strong enough to push it out. If you can't get it out, it would be a very good idea to seek vet care.

Here's a good article for you - if I'm not on or no ones is here to help you
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

If there is and she's still able to poop, then you have a little time. Since she looks in bad shape, you may want to place her in a steamed up bathroom instead of soaking her - that's up to you, you'll have to gauge if she's able to withstand soaking, sometimes they can't
Get her hydrated and try to get some calcium into her - crush up and eggshell into powder and add it to 1tsp of yogurt if you don't have tums.

If the is an egg in there lightly oil just inside the vent, hopefully she is strong enough to push it out. If you can't get it out, it would be a very good idea to seek vet care.

Ok. I will do egg shell or something.

Vet isn't an option...Let's hope oil works!

I'm thinking I broke the egg during her bath...but I can still feel and see. It seems hopeless though...

I'm thinking I broke the egg during her bath...but I can still feel and see. It seems hopeless though...

Felt inside vent, didn't feel anything. Applied vaseline.
How is she doing now?
So you didn't feel an egg?
How does her abdomen feel (below the vent between her legs)? Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid?

Has she been able to poop at all? Photos of the poop if you have them.

I'm so sorry that she is not well. I know you are doing the best you can. Can you get some water into her - hold a small cup or spoon to her beak, see if she will drink.

She may be having some other reproductive problem besides a stuck egg, it's really hard to know sometimes.

How is she doing now?
So you didn't feel an egg?
How does her abdomen feel (below the vent between her legs)? Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid?

Has she been able to poop at all? Photos of the poop if you have them.

I'm so sorry that she is not well. I know you are doing the best you can. Can you get some water into her - hold a small cup or spoon to her beak, see if she will drink.

She may be having some other reproductive problem besides a stuck egg, it's really hard to know sometimes.
IMG_4115.jpg IMG_4114.jpg IMG_4116.jpg IMG_4117.jpg
Still lethargic, obviously leaving more messes behind her. Can't tell if she is eating. I'm pretty sure she is drinking. Some of the pictures show her droppings really runny, but some of that was just water from a leak in the waterer.

Back
Top Bottom