Lethargic Hen/Pullet

View attachment 1724677 View attachment 1724678 View attachment 1724679 View attachment 1724680
Still lethargic, obviously leaving more messes behind her. Can't tell if she is eating. I'm pretty sure she is drinking. Some of the pictures show her droppings really runny, but some of that was just water from a leak in the waterer.

How is she doing now?
If she is drinking that's good.
With hens, it can be hard to know sometimes what's happening. She may be having trouble passing a soft shelled egg or she may be having problems with Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis or similar. Sadly a lot of times, we won't know until an internal exam (necropsy) is performed after they pass away.

Do what you can for her though. I would keep her drinking. Try to get some calcium for her - can one of your parents pick up some TUMS or Calcium Supplement for you? Do you have any poultry vitamins or electrolytes?
I would give her the calcium for a couple of days and put vitamins in her water. Encourage her to eat if she will - wet feed, a scrambled egg, etc. Something tasty but nutritious.

She does look a bit more alert in your last photo, you can put her on a heating pad on low or if you think she is well enough, give her a soak in a warm bath, add some epsom salts if you have them.

Keep us posted.

How is she doing now?
If she is drinking that's good.
With hens, it can be hard to know sometimes what's happening. She may be having trouble passing a soft shelled egg or she may be having problems with Internal Laying, Egg Yolk Peritonitis or similar. Sadly a lot of times, we won't know until an internal exam (necropsy) is performed after they pass away.

Do what you can for her though. I would keep her drinking. Try to get some calcium for her - can one of your parents pick up some TUMS or Calcium Supplement for you? Do you have any poultry vitamins or electrolytes?
I would give her the calcium for a couple of days and put vitamins in her water. Encourage her to eat if she will - wet feed, a scrambled egg, etc. Something tasty but nutritious.

She does look a bit more alert in your last photo, you can put her on a heating pad on low or if you think she is well enough, give her a soak in a warm bath, add some epsom salts if you have them.

Keep us posted.
She seems a lot more alert now, and her droppings are a little more brown and white. She has been in the garage with the lights off for a while now, should I turn them on?
Isn't really eating the egg/yogurt/tums mixture, but that just might be due to the fact that the lights have been off?
Can't tell if she is drinking right now...

She seems a lot more alert now, and her droppings are a little more brown and white. She has been in the garage with the lights off for a while now, should I turn them on?
Isn't really eating the egg/yogurt/tums mixture, but that just might be due to the fact that the lights have been off?
Can't tell if she is drinking right now...
Yes, I would turn the lights on and check on her. See if she will drink a bit and eat for you.
Let us know how she's doing.

Thinking of you. Hopefully things turn around for you and your hen. Sometimes hens don't handle change well. I had a hen that was convalescing inside and I put her food and water in dishes. Since she was used to eating out of her feeder and drinking from a waterer, she didn't know what to do (she was also pretty sick). If you did switch up anything with the way the water is presented, try to go back to what she knows. Good luck, my friend.

Yes, I would turn the lights on and check on her. See if she will drink a bit and eat for you.
Let us know how she's doing.
Just took her to a friend’s house and did an ultrasound. She has an agg, but it appears to be soft shelled. Save her some calcium powder. 1/4teaspoon. Will probably do a warm bath today and if she is trying to push the egg out I will try to help her out. It also appears to be sideways.

Just took her to a friend’s house and did an ultrasound. She has an agg, but it appears to be soft shelled. Save her some calcium powder. 1/4teaspoon. Will probably do a warm bath today and if she is trying to push the egg out I will try to help her out. It also appears to be sideways.
I'm glad you were able to get her examined. Does the egg look like it's in the oviduct or in the abdomen - could you tell?

Did you happen to get some images of the ultrasound so you can post them?
If the egg is sideways in the oviduct, I'm not sure if she will be able to expel that or not.
You think it's soft shelled? How close to the cloaca/vent opening is it?

Back
Top Bottom