Lets talk about goats!

Is she in heat r is she breed I bought her at 18 weeks old n she was living wit to older males she is leaking white stuff n is swollen today she's not acting different

How long has she been with you? Has she be with any bucks since living with you? Were those pics today? If so she doesn't have much udder development? Did you check her ligaments?

She been living wit me since feb she hasn't been wit a buck since I have her I'm horrible checking for ligaments pic was taken today I was told her mom didn't have a udder until after she kid

She was not bred. If she was bred on the DAY she went home with you (remember, goats aren't in heat 24/7, so this is unlikely) then she would be due July 5th. But unless she is hiding a tiny single in there or something and going over her due date, yea, not bred...

For your future reference, here is a gestation calculator, I'd recommend bookmarking the page. Pygmies and Nigerian Dwarves have a 145 day gestation period.

If you intend to breed, make sure he knows how bad the bucks stink before you get one. Take him to a farm and let him pet one. Then if he can handle the smell on him during the trip home, he should be ok. LOL...
ha, yeah, I have been warned by other goat owners about the smell. Even their goat cheese tastes different when the males are around the females, very interesting. Honestly, we would get whethers (not sure the spelling). I'm not looking to breed or milk females anytime soon.

ha, yeah, I have been warned by other goat owners about the smell. Even their goat cheese tastes different when the males are around the females, very interesting. Honestly, we would get whethers (not sure the spelling). I'm not looking to breed or milk females anytime soon.

Actually it is not the presence of the buck that causes the goaty flavor in goat cheese. It is the enzyme lipase. If the raw milk was held a few days before it was made into cheese the enzyme has had time to work and the milk and the cheese it was made into may taste goaty. Pasteurization deactivates the enzyme.

This summer I have been trying to convince my husband to get a goat. I grew up on a goat dairy and had goats up into my twenties living on my parents farm. My fav, breeds are Nubian, Toggenburg and Alpine. For me, these three seemed to have the best temperament.

I am not sure if I want to go dwarf or just normal size. They are such easy farm animals and lovely pets. We always de-horned and wethered most males. My favorite times were always spring during kidding season. Having such an amount, we had to have circular corrals so that the kids wouldn't get cornered and suffocate. (Even then, you could lose one now and again because they huddle together and on top of each other for warmth.)

Bee hives and goats.... my next project for our little back-yard farm. :p (If only the husband knew my plotting!!! lol)

Back
Top Bottom