Lets talk about goats!

Hey... I have a herd of 14 goats, 2 males and 12 females! 3 of the females are still young. The males are just becoming adults. I have 2 questions!

#1 Three of our Boer Goats are pregnant and are supposed to be due on the 29th of July ( when I saw 1 of them being mated I counted 5 months!) But today I noticed that one of them is starting to ooze a clear liquid out of her vulva! Is she giving birth or what?:idunno

#2 Our goats don't have many play things! I need ideas for cheap and easy to make toy
Please HELP!!

#1 Could be. .. She could be losing her plug. What are her ligaments like? Has she uddered up yet?
Could also be that she is still letting one of your bucks Mount her and all you're seeing is semen.

#2 Logs that they can climb on, simple pieces of scrap wood nailed together to make a platform, old children's plastic outdoor play sets, the spools that electric companies get their wire on, an old tire, etc. Just make sure there aren't holes and such that they can get their leg in. Goats are really good at getting a leg stuck, jumping off and breaking it.

Last edited:
#1 Could be. .. She could be losing her plug. What are her ligaments like? Has she uddered up yet?
Could also be that she is still letting one of your bucks Mount her and all you're seeing is semen.

#2 Logs that they can climb on, simple pieces of scrap wood nailed together to make a platform, old children's plastic outdoor play sets, the spools that electric companies get their wire on, an old tire, etc. Just make sure there aren't holes and such that they can get their leg in. Goats are really good at getting a leg stuck, jumping off and breaking it.
Her ligaments are still there! I think she was faking it a little! She did this to me last time she kidded as well so that's probably what it was! Her udders are starting to swell a little!

Thanks for the ideas! I have some of those and yesterday I put them in with my herd and they loved it! It was sooo cute to see them play!
love.gif

Hi goat lovers!
I am getting my goats next week. I'm so excited!!!
I have a question though, can I free range my goats and chickens together in a small fenced in area? I'm worried a goat could accidentally eat chicken poo while grazing. Can this make the goats sick?
Thank you!

Hi goat lovers!
I am getting my goats next week. I'm so excited!!!
I have a question though, can I free range my goats and chickens together in a small fenced in area? I'm worried a goat could accidentally eat chicken poo while grazing. Can this make the goats sick?
Thank you!

They will be fine together. My chickens, ducks, and goats are always in the same area and during the colder months the chickens would come into the goat barn and hang out. Even while my does were kidding, the chickens would be right there in the middle of everything and the does didn't seem to worry.

^jealous chicken, I was petting and giving treats to Velvet the goat pictured (poor dear had 4 babies, so she got extra pampering) and my hen HP (short version of henny penny my little red hen lol) had had enough of being ignored and took matters into her own wings. (it worked)

Last edited:
Adorable! I was wondering the same about rabbits and goats. Since they both eat hay and have similar poo, seems like it might work? We have two female bunnies that would really enjoy the extra room I think.

The thing with housing different species with goats isn't that they won't get along, it's the food issue. As long as the goats can't get into the chicken feed you're fine. As long as the chickens don't poop in the goat water, you're fine!

Just thought I should clarify, I don't house my chickens with the goats. The chickens just go wherever the please and its usually to go hang out with the goats. Though this winter I do plan on keeping my pair of geese and my call ducks in my pole barn that houses the goats, so they would be mixed in with them all day all night.

As far as the goats trampling, I never had a problem with it. The kids would sometimes bounce/chase after stuff but it was all in good fun and neither party was ever hurt.

Back
Top Bottom