Lets talk about goats!

:celebrate

IM SO EXCITED!!!

My parents agreed to let me get a doeling! :celebrate :weee I'm soooooo ecstatic!!!! Now I'm on the search! I really want a baby doe I can bottle-feed that is such an amazing experience! I did it with a kitten that I had to bottle-feed every 3 hours and loved it I didn't care I had to wake-up at 3:00 AM because I was so happy to see it's little face ready to eat! Now it's just finding one that's the difficult part!

And you know you need at least two, right? Unless you already have some goats. :)

Well, you really should contact your state department for that information. You can find the statutes on line if you haven't already.

I couldn't find anything for animal consumption. So E-mail. got number to call, they gave me food safety, they told me to call this other number for animal feed...final result is I got answer machine. Hopefully someone calls back.

This time of year bottle babies are quite easy to find on craigslist.

thats where ive been looking but i might end up with my one of my neighbors babies!
And you know you need at least two, right? Unless you already have some goats.
smile.png
We dont have any other goats but yes i understand they need a companion and it works out well because our horse needs a friend so the two of them can graze together :D

I do have a question though.When i get a baby goat what type of hay or straw should i get for the little stinker? Like timothy hay? Or......thanks for any advice! This will be my first time with a baby goat! We use to own some but i was to young to remember much.

thats where ive been looking but i might end up with my one of my neighbors babies!
We dont have any other goats but yes i understand they need a companion and it works out well because our horse needs a friend so the two of them can graze together :D

One reason to get more than one goat is the fact that if one goat gets free of its confines it will not stray far from the rest of the herd and they are easy to find. As far as what kind of hay? whatever your horse eats will be fine. Goats will eat just about anything and we have never lost one to eating poison plants. We lost kids once in birth.

About all you need is a three sided shelter to keep the rain off them...goats hate rain!!

Well our little Buckshot SpongeBob Buckaroo Bonzai has gone to his new home. We'll miss you little man but it sounds like there will be lots of girls in his future. LOL

One reason to get more than one goat is the fact that if one goat gets free of its confines it will not stray far from the rest of the herd and they are easy to find. As far as what kind of hay? whatever your horse eats will be fine. Goats will eat just about anything and we have never lost one to eating poison plants. We lost kids once in birth.

About all you need is a three sided shelter to keep the rain off them...goats hate rain!!

Hmm oky doky :p I thought they do but I wanted to ask anyhow I wouldn't want a malnourished goat running around.Alright thank you! :D

And since I am posting pictures of him .. The other day both bucks were aggressively trying to mount him. I mean they were relentless like he was a doe in heat. He's a whether and luckily bigger than both bucks so he was able to fend them off... But what caused the behavior? That's the first time that has happened as far as I know.

Hey! I just found this thread. We got a kid march 21, this year, 5 hours after he was born. His mom had 2 other kids before him, and wouldn't even clean the after birth off. The owners of the mother said that if nobody took him, they couldn't keep him, so he wouldn't live his life. of course we had to take him! We named him a very sensible name (Billy) since my dad wouldn't let us keep him if he didn't agree to the name, and that was the only one he agreed to. That's fine with us though.
We have been bottle feeding him, and he is getting big. He is finally bigger than our hens! He is a mini pygmy goat. I will get a picture of him, and post it as soon as I can. Glad I found this thread
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom