Lets talk about goats!

I decided to leave the guys alone and not wether them. If they start to fight or get aggressive down the road I will have them castrated but for now the health benefits where greater leaving them be.

So far so good they are still sweet to me and only play with each other.

I think you will quickly change your mind when they start to stink, and pee on their beards, and lick themselves, and start talking in a possessed manner, good luck, Steve will never be the same.

The smell I dont mind, been around billys before so I know they can be super gross. When I started to consider having them wethered I did research and while there where no health risks in not doing it there where some pretty major ones when castrating especially young ones.

Having it done when they are adults is much better if it has to be done because they have fully grown urinary tracks.

If I have to have it done down the road then I will but for now it isnt worth risking their health.

This will be a country pasture of significant size. If I have to rent goats I might as well start a herd myself!

I started in goats to clear some of my land and it is now pasture. At the time goats were cheaper than roundup and since roundup doesn't work on wisteria (at least not for me) the goats did a better job.

You could buy the goats to clear the land and sell them later. If you get some kids you may even come out a little ahead. Buy a lot more nannies than billies.

The smell I dont mind, been around billys before so I know they can be super gross. When I started to consider having them wethered I did research and while there where no health risks in not doing it there where some pretty major ones when castrating especially young ones.

Having it done when they are adults is much better if it has to be done because they have fully grown urinary tracks.

If I have to have it done down the road then I will but for now it isnt worth risking their health.
all mine are banded at around eight weeks, I do not have any trouble with stones or blockage of their urinary tracts, I believe that comes from improper feeding, mainly from feed grain and ration, and not providing proper goat mineral. Have 13 wethers at the moment ranging from 4 months to 9 years, all healthy, but I don't like the smell of Billy goat, I do enjoy the talking, snorting, and tongue wagging. Will wait to see pictures of Steve as a grown goat.

I started in goats to clear some of my land and it is now pasture. At the time goats were cheaper than roundup and since roundup doesn't work on wisteria (at least not for me) the goats did a better job.

You could buy the goats to clear the land and sell them later. If you get some kids you may even come out a little ahead. Buy a lot more nannies than billies.

Thanks for the advice. It will probably take more than one season so that's probably the way to go. Now I have to learn how to keep goats!

Thanks for the advice. It will probably take more than one season so that's probably the way to go. Now I have to learn how to keep goats!

Goats are pretty easy but they are escape artists.They need water and minerals. I also give them a little feed now and then just to keep them friendly.

Fence them in please...don't try to tether them.

Goats are pretty easy but they are escape artists.They need water and minerals. I also give them a little feed now and then just to keep them friendly.

Fence them in please...don't try to tether them.

I just had to get my neighbor's goats out of their garage and back into their pen today as the neighbors weren't home. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom