Lets talk about goats!

here is a new pic of the new kid.

Well I guess the thing with most dairies is they put in a lot of energy into lactation and people dont feed them enough for them to maintain body weight. On all these feed label recommendations I see does in milk getting double or triple what dry does get.

Yup. Agreed. Those dairies are skinny and bony, I dont like the look, a good muscled boer looks so much better.

Honestly, that's what I've always thought too, but I do like LaManchas despite them seeming skinny.
That's why I breed recorded grades. My dairy goats are built like a moose. I do t like skinny and bony either and a well bred dairy goat will be an easy keep with good body mass and capacity. I have boers too cause I like a solid goat but here is a dairy buck who sired a couple of our favorite does. He was a tank and throws that nice thick muscular body.

Wow! I've never seen dairy goats like that before. He's awesome! Do you breed Boer's or other stockier breeds into your does? Or do you feed them a special feed? Sorry for these questions, but I'm interested to learn. :)
They are skinny and bony if people don't give them enough feed.  Happens a lot I'm sorry to say.

That must mean a lot of people don't feed the dairy goats well at our county fair. :eek: I always thought that dairy goats were skinnier just from having to milk.
This isn't the best pic but it shows the body on my three dairy does. I can't stand to see a bone sticking out and they have nice thick legs and big feet on them. Very easy keepers too!

Holy cow, they're massive! I show performance wethers (they're Boers) through 4-H, so I spend a lot of time in the goat barn during fair. A lot of kids take dairy goats and it seems every dairy goat has bones jutting out all over the place. But then you see all the market projects and my goats too (even though they're not a market project) and they don't have bones sticking out. Do people think that dairy goats need less feed? It's kind of sickening to look at some of the goats because they're so skinny. They look like their bones could break at any moment.

Back
Top Bottom