Lets talk about goats!

Thanks everyone. Update on Shelby. She loves Stetson! Lol. She wont leave his side and he seems more interested in her then me for a change. She's settling in well. My other two boys that just got castrated pay attention to her through the fence. Still trying to get pics of her feet. We just started trimming a little. It looks like she had really bad hoof rot at some point and it wasn't treated well. Or at all. I know the people that had her. They never intended to have goats and knew nothing about them. I wish I had taken her and her mother at the beginning of summer.

Aaaaahhh. Can anyone tell me the possibility of a boy thats been castrated for a week getting a girl pregnant. I'm not sure if shes in heat and haven't seen them together. I don't even know if shes young enough or if that matters. Bud is impossible to keep locked up. We made the walls 6 ft tall to try and keep him in but the little s@#$ is back in pen with her.
20171005_111758.jpg

Just chillin in cows food bin. Hard to be mad when hes so darn cute. I have no idea how he can jump this hi.
And here is the cow you all helped me with. Looks like he has a umbilical hemeroid now but hes doing well.
20171005_111813.jpg

Big lovable baby. I have no idea what to do with bud.

Do you have anything near the fence that he could be climbing on to jump out? Or maybe he is squeezing under the fence somewhere? I'd check for weird stuff like that, he might not be jumping. OR. He might just be really athletic lol you could always set up a trail camera to see how he's doing it

The possibility of any male that has been castrated for just a week impregnating a female is very high. A week is nowhere near long enough for the testosterone and, more importantly, the live sperm to be out of his system. If you think he might have bred her and you don't want the pregnancy, get some lutalyse from the vet. You give it five or more days after the unwanted breeding and it will cause her to slip the pregnancy, if any. Be aware that the lutalyse will cause her to come back into heat, so if you don't manage to contain your escape artist you will have a repeat of the problem.

This may seem odd. I am one of those ladies that always dreamed of being all natural and breast feeding my babies. With my first babies I learned that not only do I not produce enough breast milk for 2 babies, I don't produce much of anything for even one. It was really hard on me having to formula feed, but now I'm reading goats milk is closest to natural human breast milk. I am wondering if anyone on here has gone that route with their kids, and if raw or pasturized goat milk was better.

I used to have 2 fainting goats back in the day, but they were just for fun, not milk. So I don't have experience in the goats for milk realm.

Laurelwood Acres, the largest goat dairy in the country for many years, was founded because goat milk was needed to raise a baby. Things grew from there. I would use pasteurized milk rather than raw for an infant. You might contact Jackson Mitchell, producers of goat milk nation wide to see if they have an infant formula on file. Back in the dark ages when I was little people fed their babies on canned milk. There were no commercial baby formulas available. I think they tweaked the milk a little, like adding a little Karo syrup to it to prevent constipation. Contact Pet Milk and see what they have on file. Water was added to the canned milk to make it like fresh milk, but as I said, it wasn't fed straight.

Aaaaahhh. Can anyone tell me the possibility of a boy thats been castrated for a week getting a girl pregnant. I'm not sure if shes in heat and haven't seen them together. I don't even know if shes young enough or if that matters. Bud is impossible to keep locked up. We made the walls 6 ft tall to try and keep him in but the little s@#$ is back in pen with her.
View attachment 1153084
Just chillin in cows food bin. Hard to be mad when hes so darn cute. I have no idea how he can jump this hi.
And here is the cow you all helped me with. Looks like he has a umbilical hemeroid now but hes doing well.
View attachment 1153087
Big lovable baby. I have no idea what to do with bud.
Did you witness them breed or see any evidence? I would keep him in a chain link dog kennel for a good month for all the testosterone to get out of system.

Back
Top Bottom