Lets talk about goats!

You could have some slides maybe or those big huge cable spools, they love those lol

And some people make like whole playground's or use kid's equipment. You wouldn't have to do all that but they do love it lol like some people build ramps and slides and bridges and stuff. It'd probably cost a lot though hah you could probably get some little kids slides. They like sliding down them supposedly. I've also seen people get two stumps and then put a board across it, like a little bridge. Or you could just get a log I suppose. Same thing.

I have the old tires off my brother's truck. I dug holes in the ground and 'planted' the tires upright. The goats like to jump up on them and it didn't cost me anything. I bet if you went to a tire shop and asked for old tires they would give them to you. Saves them a recycling fee.

I like the more natural look of a log rather than tires, but I did end taking two cement blocks with a board across. I put another board perpendicular and kind of made a see saw. It was hilarious watching the kids balance on it. I have not seen them play on it any today though.

Hey, I'm needing some help. I was just about to give my pygmies their first CDT shot since I've had them. They got it from the breeder when they were born but I've never personally given it to them. I bought the syringe and CDT and needles yesterday, planned on giving it to them today, but I started to worry something would happen. I called nearly all the vets near me, they'd say they didn't treat goats, and suggest another place, so I'd call that place, and they'd just say no and refer me to another. I've watched some videos and know what to do, (i got an 18 gauge btw), my Dad has some experience because when he was a teenager he worked as an assistant to a vet clinic, so he'd give tips.. he says he's done it many times, but then again, it was when he was a teenager.. ShouldI wait until Monday when I know a place will be open that would treat them? Suggestions are VERY appreciated!

If you feel uncomfortable, I say just wait. I can't offer tips on giving shots since I haven't had mine long enough to need their next shots. I plan on having the vet do it first so I can watch. Then I'll decide if I want to do it myself.

Hey, I'm needing some help. I was just about to give my pygmies their first CDT shot since I've had them. They got it from the breeder when they were born but I've never personally given it to them. I bought the syringe and CDT and needles yesterday, planned on giving it to them today, but I started to worry something would happen. I called nearly all the vets near me, they'd say they didn't treat goats, and suggest another place, so I'd call that place, and they'd just say no and refer me to another. I've watched some videos and know what to do, (i got an 18 gauge btw), my Dad has some experience because when he was a teenager he worked as an assistant to a vet clinic, so he'd give tips.. he says he's done it many times, but then again, it was when he was a teenager.. ShouldI wait until Monday when I know a place will be open that would treat them? Suggestions are VERY appreciated!

Giving shots is a necessary skill when you have livestock. To give the CD/T just slide the needle under the skin. I like to use the area in front of the shoulder. All shots for goats should be given subcutaneously rather than intramuscularly no matter what the label says. If you are afraid of hitting a blood vessel (unlikely with a subq shot), pull back on the plunger before injecting. If you get blood, pull it out and try again. To learn to give shots you can practice on an orange. If your father has ever given shots, he knows how. This isn't something you forget.

Giving shots is a necessary skill when you have livestock. To give the CD/T just slide the needle under the skin. I like to use the area in front of the shoulder. All shots for goats should be given subcutaneously rather than intramuscularly no matter what the label says. If you are afraid of hitting a blood vessel (unlikely with a subq shot), pull back on the plunger before injecting. If you get blood, pull it out and try again. To learn to give shots you can practice on an orange. If your father has ever given shots, he knows how. This isn't something you forget.
:goodpost:

cassie, Thank you very very much!!! I'm So Sorry I waited so long to reply! my neighborhood lost wifi and they just fixed it yesterday... I ended up waiting until Monday, and was super relieved at how easy it was!!! :yesss:
Really glad we did it ourselves. All of it only cost about $13.00, while the vet probably would've charged more since she was only doing 2 goats. I was super relieved at how well it went. Cas only made a small bleat (probably cause my dad was holding on really firm and it freaked Cas out) but Grover didn't even flinch. We did it in the rear just cause that was what they did in the videos and what my dad said he'd usually done.
Very good tips for next time! Thank you!:woot

P.S. We did the method of pulling the skin up and sticking the needle under it. My Mom got pretty confused on why it took me a minute to get some fat together because they always say Cas and Grover are fat...:lol:

So excited, the contractor started building my goat shed yesterday!
20171017_155533.jpg

Back
Top Bottom