Lets talk about goats!

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful!

Maybe instead of tethering I could lead them around? Or get temporary fencing? We have weeds/brush I'd want them to eat but don't them to run free and go to the neighbors hah

So would 50x50 be big enough for 2 wethers?

Was thinking 25x25 at smallest or 50x50 or even up to 100x100. I'm having a hard time actually visualizing how big that really is so I might measure and mark it on the ground. But I wasn't sure what was big enough

The pen is 10x10 and would be added to a good sized uncovered horse pen...At night secure in the 10x10 dog run because of Coyotes...I would run leads off the goats to eat daily off grass ...Sound good ?...I have horses so access to great hay....I'm interested but yet not sure?
10x10 is a pretty small space once you add in housing, hay rack, water buckets, etc. I have read a lot about the dangers of tethering goats so you may want to look into that further.

Thanks a lot, that's really helpful!

Maybe instead of tethering I could lead them around? Or get temporary fencing? We have weeds/brush I'd want them to eat but don't them to run free and go to the neighbors hah

So would 50x50 be big enough for 2 wethers?

Was thinking 25x25 at smallest or 50x50 or even up to 100x100. I'm having a hard time actually visualizing how big that really is so I might measure and mark it on the ground. But I wasn't sure what was big enough
I think you should go as big as you can based on your situation. I have found it's better to go big and have too much space instead of running out.

Temporary electric fencing may be a good option for you if you want to move them around the property.

10x10 is a pretty small space once you add in housing, hay rack, water buckets, etc. I have read a lot about the dangers of tethering goats so you may want to look into that further.
Old Lady I know does it but not sure if she feeds properly so only was asking because she is a bit simple minded...Her Animals seam fine and tether well..Like tying a Dog ....The pen would only be for night time sleeping...
Two small goats...I use the pen now for 7 Call Ducks....

Also would be added to a large fenced in Horse pen my Mini Horse is in till spring...no Goats till spring...I'll get rescues or Kids?...
So they get to be in the horse pen all day? That sounds good.

Tethering is totally up to you. I know there are lots of folks that do it and it is normal practice in countries outside Northern America. I would never do it because I have read stories about goats breaking legs and necks. But again, it's a personal choice because there are positives and negatives with pretty much every option.

So they get to be in the horse pen all day? That sounds good.

Tethering is totally up to you. I know there are lots of folks that do it and it is normal practice in countries outside Northern America. I would never do it because I have read stories about goats breaking legs and necks. But again, it's a personal choice because there are positives and negatives with pretty much every option.
I'm totally anal so it would be with me outside and the Dogs ...Never able to get hurt..Not on my watch anyways...Yes be attached to a repurposed horse round pen...

As for shots, they need to be vaccinated with CD/T. That is for tetanus and entertoxemia. As for baking soda, it won't hurt them, but unless they are being fed grain they really don't need it. Unless goats are growing kids, pregnant or nursing, they don't need grain. Pygmies are prone to getting too fat.

Back
Top Bottom