Lets talk about goats!

People down the road from me got kids this summer so my trained dog Bindi loves the goats and leaves home to kiss goats all afternoon....Lol
As for shots, they need to be vaccinated with CD/T. That is for tetanus and entertoxemia. As for baking soda, it won't hurt them, but unless they are being fed grain they really don't need it. Unless goats are growing kids, pregnant or nursing, they don't need grain. Pygmies are prone to getting too fat.
Like Mini Horses...Gain weight looking at feed....

I think you should go as big as you can based on your situation. I have found it's better to go big and have too much space instead of running out.

Temporary electric fencing may be a good option for you if you want to move them around the property.

I have had a horrid time (so, completely unsuccessful ) with goats and electric.

I had horses for years had no issues with containing them. I used electric rope fence with the horses, and temporary electric fence.

The goats laugh and bust through.

My duck yard which contains a couple of apple trees (and duck feed), is now all kinds of ugly. I have a 5 foot fence around that pen. And on top of the five foot fence I have pallets and plywood screwed on. Yep... the blasted thing is now an eyesore, but nothing less would keep the goats out.

And my goats get free range of my property (locked up at night), with browse, and bushes and trees and grass galore.

My half dwarf is the main problem, she can bounce 6 feet high when she sets her mind to it.

I have had a horrid time (so, completely unsuccessful ) with goats and electric.

I had horses for years had no issues with containing them. I used electric rope fence with the horses, and temporary electric fence.

My duck yard which contains a couple of apple trees (and duck feed), is now all kinds of ugly. I have a 5 foot fence around that pen. And on top of the five foot fence I have pallets and plywood screwed on. Yep... the blasted thing is now an eyesore, but nothing less would keep the goats out.

And my goats get free range of my property (locked up at night), with browse, and bushes and trees and grass galore.

My half dwarf is the main problem, she can bounce 6 feet high when she sets her mind to it.
Really? That's too bad. I haven't used it myself but had thought about using some. Right now my 3 goats have a 48x80 horse corral. It's just the traditional wood fence with three horizontal rows of boards with 4 ft welded wire across the bottom to fill the gaps. The previous owner put it all up because he used the barn for his dogs. So far the girls have never shown any desire to get out. I plan to put up some cross fencing in the spring to give them more access to my property. I was trying to decide what to put up based on ease of installation and funds. Temporary electric was one of the options. I've decided to go with woven wire. It will costs more but I think it's the best option in the long run.

I think you should go as big as you can based on your situation. I have found it's better to go big and have too much space instead of running out.

Temporary electric fencing may be a good option for you if you want to move them around the property.

That makes sense. I've been considering mini horses too but idk. But I think I'll go with as big an area as possible. I'll take some pictures of the area or a video tour lol

Wow that's awful! Sorry you've had such bad luck with it!

Really? That's too bad. I haven't used it myself but had thought about using some. Right now my 3 goats have a 48x80 horse corral. It's just the traditional wood fence with three horizontal rows of boards with 4 ft welded wire across the bottom to fill the gaps. The previous owner put it all up because he used the barn for his dogs. So far the girls have never shown any desire to get out. I plan to put up some cross fencing in the spring to give them more access to my property. I was trying to decide what to put up based on ease of installation and funds. Temporary electric was one of the options. I've decided to go with woven wire. It will costs more but I think it's the best option in the long run.

I think it depends on the goats

And I think I might go with woven wire too just because I can get like a 330 foot roll for cheaper or the same price as 100 foot roll of other stuff. Although 48 inch x 100 foot welded wire isn't too expensive, only $70, but I need more fence than that

We used cattle panels and 2 by 4s to make our pen! Nice and sturdy. The kid can get out of it when they're small enough, though- hahaha! Not a problem for us since we let them all free range around during the day anyways :)

Attachments

• IMG_7259.JPG
    IMG_7259.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom