Lets talk about goats!

Exactly! They are supposed to install gutters and snow rails plus put concrete in the post holes of the porch they built. Still waiting, and it is bothering me because i have bushes and bulbs i want to plant in raised beds in front of the house and i can't do those until they do the concrete! Ugh! Husband told them i want it done!

I wrote a reply but it got lost in space! I wish we had someone who would put in an 8 hour day and finish a project because they just keep jumping around! Driving me crazy!

It posted!

At least I think that's the one you mean.

But UGH. Those workers sound horrible!

That's good your husband finally talked to them though but I hope he was strict enough

You should tell them you want your money back or at least half of it or that you are going to go find someone else if they are going to go so slow. That should speed them up lol or they'll just say you can't do that cause you already have a contract or already paid hah

My dad and I probably could have had that thing built faster lol

Of course our little coop has taken like a year or year and a half but that's because we spent A LOT of time not working on it due to other things like the boats and stuff and only a few hours at a time but we don't have paying customers waiting on us.

If we had a timeframe and/or worked full days, we could have it done very fast I'm sure. It's all pretty basic. And I like to think ours looks pretty good.

And we have never built anything before.

And these guys are supposed to be professionals? Lol

After keeping a herd of dairy goats for years (am a cheesemaker) health issues finally forced me to re-evaluate my physical labor capabilities and rehome the whole herd of registered French Alpines. Such a sad time, but trimming hooves on 225# bucks and carrying 60# milk buckets is difficult. I do get to visit them once in a while.
Have had lots of breeds and sizes of goats. If it is a pet you are after, any kind will work...if you start young. Goats are mostly what you train them to be. They know their names, and are responsive to treats, hugs and Mama's voice. Kinders or mixed breeds are wonderful animals and probably cost less. The personality of LaManchas is hard to beat, and mini LaManchas are adorable. Liking those floopy ears means choosing a Nubian. Nubians are very vocal/loud and some do have an attitude. If the ears can point up, like the Alpines, you can find dwarf varieties of most breeds (including the well known Pygmies and Nigerians) that make it much easier to provide hoof care and other health care needs. Saanens, on the other hand, are large and it takes more hand strength than you can imagine for trimming hooves. Mini Saanens are available and they are a gentle breed.

Whew! My advice to you is, if at all possible, just get a young goat, choosing the one that smiles at you and spoil it! They are wonderful animals.

Yeah, we could have it done too but hubby has a bad back and i am building my contraption!
Have you got goats too?

Ahh that stinks!

And no not yet at least, but we built our new chicken coop

After keeping a herd of dairy goats for years (am a cheesemaker) health issues finally forced me to re-evaluate my physical labor capabilities and rehome the whole herd of registered French Alpines. Such a sad time, but trimming hooves on 225# bucks and carrying 60# milk buckets is difficult. I do get to visit them once in a while.
Have had lots of breeds and sizes of goats. If it is a pet you are after, any kind will work...if you start young. Goats are mostly what you train them to be. They know their names, and are responsive to treats, hugs and Mama's voice. Kinders or mixed breeds are wonderful animals and probably cost less. The personality of LaManchas is hard to beat, and mini LaManchas are adorable. Liking those floopy ears means choosing a Nubian. Nubians are very vocal/loud and some do have an attitude. If the ears can point up, like the Alpines, you can find dwarf varieties of most breeds (including the well known Pygmies and Nigerians) that make it much easier to provide hoof care and other health care needs. Saanens, on the other hand, are large and it takes more hand strength than you can imagine for trimming hooves. Mini Saanens are available and they are a gentle breed.

Whew! My advice to you is, if at all possible, just get a young goat, choosing the one that smiles at you and spoil it! They are wonderful animals.

Oh, and you need at least 2! Goats are herd animals.

Sorry about your goats but thanks for the info

Saanens, on the other hand, are large and it takes more hand strength than you can imagine for trimming hooves. Mini Saanens are available and they are a gentle breed.

We only have three, 1 is a Saanen, 1 is half Saanen and half dwarf, 1 is mostly Nubian 1/4 Boar, we used to have a full Nubian.

Anyway, we have found the hoof trimming about the same for all of the full sized girls. The half sized one is easier to trim.

The half sized girl, Mozzie, though adorable, super fun and sweet, is VERY DIFFICULT to keep fenced in.I wish I had been told that the smaller ones are harder to fence.

Heard the old saying...if water can get out, a goat can get out. Aren't they sweet animals! Glad you are not having difficulty trimming hooves. If age toughens those nails, trim after a rain when the grass is damp. So much easier.

Heard the old saying...if water can get out, a goat can get out. Aren't they sweet animals! Glad you are not having difficulty trimming hooves. If age toughens those nails, trim after a rain when the grass is damp. So much easier.
That is what my baby sister heard! :lau

I gave up on keeping mine penned, except at night, they have a nice sturdy but small pen for night.

Luckily they are smart, and we have taught then to stay around the house.

Back
Top Bottom