Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Just set my first eggs from my gold cuckoo's this evening. I am very please with the egg color and can't wait to see what the chicks look like!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Sending you good hatching vibes my Golden Rooster is a lazy boy I'm going to change him out with a Silver Cuckoo out of a 7 egg and see if the hens that are laying the dark eggs will have more fertility with him only thing is he might be carrying recessive white but he's a big ole chunky monkey his sisters are lowriders he seems to be medium height that's what I've been feeding him for as a backup.....I'm hoping to borrow a White rooster to test the hens...if it not one thing it's another.

OK guys I need help what color is this roo I thought he was a splash but he is not ( I now have splash that look right ) He may be a sport out of some GCM. I hatched BBS, GCM,and BCM together and did not mark the birds as I thought I would be able to tell them apart I assumed he was a splash but he is not, he is with black hens and I am getting what looks like a blue mottled chick or cuckoos that look splashy weird. What does he look like to you all?
20296_splash_roo_011.jpg

20296_splash_roo_010.jpg

Quote:
Would love to see a close up (or as close up as you can get
smile.png
) of the entire bird....do you have a photo of him like that? Is this the dad of the chicks that you posted and asked about not to long ago over in the Marans thread? Oooohhh...my bad, I just re-read your post and he is....do you have some updated photos of the chicks?
big_smile.png

If I had to guess I'd say splash golden cuckoo. You don't have dominant white in your flock that would leak gold like that, recessive white doesn't doesn't usually leak uniformly like that either. Splash can leak gold like that, but it's strange that there's mostly just color in the saddle and not in the hackle. Are your golden cuckoos wheaten or birchen based?

Put him over a black hen and see what you get.

Quote:
The goldish leakage appears to only be in the crow wing areas like on a BCM and its also really light like if would be if he was split for silver and gold so I belive that if you had Blue Coppers and Splashes running together, then the splash phase of a cross of a Blue copper and a silver based solid Splash should produce something like this.

Last edited:
I have him over Black hens and I have gotten solid blue, what looks like blue with very light barring and then the mottled looking ones. I think he just needs to be retired I guess. I was hoping he had white in him but you guys with the knowledge didn't even hint at that so I guess not. The mottled chicks are very very pretty and I am going to grow them out and see what they can produce together who know I may start a new color of Marans!

Back
Top Bottom